themes

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CapitalG

themes

Post by CapitalG »

what themes can i use with this version of mint and where do you get them from? can anyone suggest some cool themes.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wyrdoak

Re: themes

Post by wyrdoak »

If you like dark themes here's green and blue with dark borders.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... nt#p599671
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Look on http://xfce-look.org. My personal favorite is orta, but there are lots of great themes (it also depends on your desktop background).
CapitalG

Post by CapitalG »

thanks for the suggestions im trying out the orta right now
mysoomro

Post by mysoomro »

cwwgateway wrote:Look on http://xfce-look.org. My personal favorite is orta, but there are lots of great themes (it also depends on your desktop background).
Hey swwgateway!
I just visited the site you shared. And I really loved some of the themes in it..
But have a little problem.. I don't know how to install and change the theme.. Can you please help me with it?

Thanks..
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

For most themes (NOT for orta): Download the theme, extract it into your Downloads folder (~/Downloads), open nautilus as root (type "gksu nautilus" into the terminal), copy the theme into /usr/share/themes, open appearance, change the theme to the theme you want, open Window Manager, and change the theme there to the theme you want. You might have to log out to for it to work completely.

For Orta: Download and extract to your downloads folder. Open OrtaSettingsManager.py. There should be an install button. Then you can make changes as you see fit, and, once are done, you click save. Then you do select orta the same way as above (open appearance and window manager, etc).
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

cwwgateway wrote:For most themes (NOT for orta): Download the theme, extract it into your Downloads folder (~/Downloads), open nautilus as root (type "gksu nautilus" into the terminal)....
Hi cwwgateway,

Since this is an XFCE thread most users will probably want to start thunar (type "gksu thunar") and not nautilus. :wink:
mysoomro

Post by mysoomro »

cwwgateway wrote:For most themes (NOT for orta): Download the theme, extract it into your Downloads folder (~/Downloads), open nautilus as root (type "gksu nautilus" into the terminal), copy the theme into /usr/share/themes, open appearance, change the theme to the theme you want, open Window Manager, and change the theme there to the theme you want. You might have to log out to for it to work completely.

For Orta: Download and extract to your downloads folder. Open OrtaSettingsManager.py. There should be an install button. Then you can make changes as you see fit, and, once are done, you click save. Then you do select orta the same way as above (open appearance and window manager, etc).
Thanks cwwgateway !!
But I figured it out yesterday and found a much simpler way of doing it. I follow the guide told in the xfce help.. Through that way I just had to download the theme, the zipped file with .tar.gz extension.. And drag and drop it in the list of styles in appearance, style tab.. And the rest was handled by xfce itself.. Then I just had to search the theme from the list and select it..
I'll also try and follow the method you told; for learning and understanding purposes..

Check the theme I've currently activated.. And I've designed the panel background myself in GIMP.. Image

Thanks for the help by the way!
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

GeneBenson wrote:
cwwgateway wrote:For most themes (NOT for orta): Download the theme, extract it into your Downloads folder (~/Downloads), open nautilus as root (type "gksu nautilus" into the terminal)....
Hi cwwgateway,

Since this is an XFCE thread most users will probably want to start thunar (type "gksu thunar") and not nautilus. :wink:
Sorry :oops: , I guess I'm just in the habit of typing nautilus (in my mind I was thinking of thunar...).
mysoomro wrote: Thanks cwwgateway !!
But I figured it out yesterday and found a much simpler way of doing it. I follow the guide told in the xfce help.. Through that way I just had to download the theme, the zipped file with .tar.gz extension.. And drag and drop it in the list of styles in appearance, style tab.. And the rest was handled by xfce itself.. Then I just had to search the theme from the list and select it..
I'll also try and follow the method you told; for learning and understanding purposes..

Check the theme I've currently activated.. And I've designed the panel background myself in GIMP.. Image

I'm happy I could help, and I find it interesting that you can drag and drop... I knew you could do it with gnome 2, but I've never tried with Xfce. Also, your desktop looks great :) .
mysoomro

Post by mysoomro »

cwwgateway wrote:
GeneBenson wrote:
Hi cwwgateway,

Sorry :oops: , I guess I'm just in the habit of typing nautilus (in my mind I was thinking of thunar...).
mysoomro wrote: Thanks cwwgateway !!

I'm happy I could help, and I find it interesting that you can drag and drop... I knew you could do it with gnome 2, but I've never tried with Xfce. Also, your desktop looks great :) .

Thanks.. :-)
Bruce McL

Post by Bruce McL »

I use a theme called Ambiance Crunchy, which is at xfce-look.org. It has a Window Manager theme as well as an Appearance theme.

http://xfce-look.org/content/show.php/A ... ent=151180

I use the Mist icon theme.

http://xfce-look.org/content/show.php/M ... ent=148172

I install themes by unpacking them and putting the resulting folder in the .themes folder in my home folder. The icon themes go in the .icons folder in the home folder.
mysoomro

Post by mysoomro »

Hello All!!

I just got yet another wonderful theme.. Wanted a little info.. what are screenlets, and how can I install them?? I extracted the folder and it contained clock calender and stuff like that. How can I use them?

Return to “Xfce”