[SOLVED] Mint KDE 13 desktop icon text

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tonttu
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Mint KDE 13 desktop icon text

Post by Tonttu »

How can I enlarge the font size in the desktop icon text? The "small icons" setting in the fonts/advanced settings has no effect.
How can I rename the icon text? If I drag links to the desktop from the browser, it displays the url (truncated) as the text with no way to rename.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Asimov

Re: Mint KDE 13 desktop icon text

Post by Asimov »

icons size and font size to different things. Changing the icon size have no impact on the fonts size and verse-versa.

System setting -> application appearance -> fonts -> a lot to tweaked ...
Tonttu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tonttu »

Asimov wrote: System setting -> application appearance -> fonts -> a lot to tweaked ...
Yes that was exactly the thing that did nothing to affect the text size! It is my neighbor's system and not in English so I didn't remember. It's weird that a folder view on the desktop is affected, but anything outside it is not.
Asimov

Post by Asimov »

Theses setting are only working with app with a native of KDE. If this application was made with the gnome library you must use Gnome center. It's a bit weird for the beginner because it like having Apple application and Windows application working on the same desktop. It'is strange but on Linux it is normal. For this kind of problem, it is important to know the name of the application.
Tonttu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tonttu »

Well, there are shortcuts to Skype, Firefox and my neighbor wants to clutter her desktop with web links, I guess they are related to Firefox settings, then?
Asimov

Post by Asimov »

Tonttu wrote:Well, there are shortcuts to Skype, Firefox and my neighbor wants to clutter her desktop with web links, I guess they are related to Firefox settings, then?
Blasphemy! Desktops are for wallpaper! :twisted:

Shortcut are always a part of the desktop without regard of the application, when they are on the desktop! If these shortcut are inside a filemanager, some filemanager do not follow standards. In theses case, the setting are made with the preference menu.

Changing setting of "desktop" font must do the job

Do not pay attention to the dialog box. The image was just to show you the look of KControl (kde control center)
Tonttu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tonttu »

Asimov wrote: Shortcut are always a part of the desktop without regard of the application, when they are on the desktop! If these shortcut are inside a filemanager, some filemanager do not follow standards. In theses case, the setting are made with the preference menu.

Changing setting of "desktop" font must do the job

Do not pay attention to the dialog box. The image was just to show you the look of KControl (kde control center)
How can I reach KControl in Linux Mint KDE 13? I have no such screen in my System Settings.
Asimov

Post by Asimov »

Open a terminal and type kcontrol + 'return'.
Tonttu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tonttu »

Asimov wrote:Open a terminal and type kcontrol + 'return'.
Ok I think I tried that with case sensitive KControl - d'oh! And now I'm back home again, hehe.. well, until next time!
Asimov

Post by Asimov »

menu -: computer -: system setting -: application appearance -: fonts
Tonttu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tonttu »

Asimov wrote:menu -: computer -: system setting -: application appearance -: fonts
Nope, now you're talking about the wrong place again. That did NOT affect the desktop icon fonts in any way.
Tonttu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tonttu »

Setting everything to 14 pt:
ruutukaappaus1.png
Desktop icon text not affected:
ruutukaappaus2.png
And also: no way to rename the icons?

Could someone just test this and tell me what they see and can do? For example, drag a url to the desktop from Firefox's site icon in the address bar and try renaming it. Try affecting the desktop font size. How is that working for you?
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

I'm not sure this is what you are asking but try it.

> Right click on the desktop

> Create New -> Link to Location (URL)...

In the pop up dialog enter the > File Name and > Enter Link to Location (URL):
snapshot1.png
You should see this:
snapshot2.png
Go to > System setting -> application appearance -> fonts and change the Desktop font size:
snapshot3.png
If you make the fonts too large they will bleed into the second line. Hope this helps.
Tonttu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tonttu »

Thanks, I will try it tomorrow. But it would be interesting to know what kind of creatures the current icons actually are? The application icons I think I dragged from the launch menu and they are just as stubbornly static as the web link icons.
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

You can make the icons anything you like. Right click on the icon you just created and select properties. Then click on the icon to the left of the icon name and a pop up Icon Sources will appear. select any icon from any sub-menu > applications, emblems, etc. or create your own icon and browse to it and select it.
snapshot4.png
Tonttu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tonttu »

This is starting to get pretty insane, the gap between the advice you're giving me and the actual reality of this desktop is just way too big.
I changed the language to English to make sure I'm on the same page.
When I right-click on the desktop, I get no "Create new". The only options are
Run command
Add widgets
Add panel
Activities
Lock widgets
Lock screen
Leave
Desktop settings

When I wondered about what kind of creatures the current icons are, I did not mean the actual icon pictures, but the objects themselves, seeing as they are not affected by any font settings, can't be renamed etc. And when I right click an icon, it does not have Properties, but Icon settings and it doesn't have an option to change Icon Sources (clicking the icon not active).

Jaws, are you using Mint 13 or some earlier version?

And not that it matters, but when I try running kcontrol from the terminal I get:
No command 'kcontrol' found
So I think Asimov is not running Linux Mint KDE 13, but some other version or other distro altogether.
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

Sorry, my bad. I assumed everyone that used KDE would switch their desktop to -> Folder View <- as soon as the desktop loaded the first time. I think I do this unconsciously and I'm not even sure what the default is anymore.

Anyway, unlock the Widgets, choose > Desktop Settings from that right click or just click on the Cashew in the upper right hand corner of your desktop and again choose Desktop Settings, (either way will do ). In the dialog that pops up in the -> View -> Layout: drop-down, select -> Folder View, Apply.

Everything I posted before should now work.
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

Kcontrol got dropped with KDE4, it now uses System Settings. The crossed wrench and driver icon in the task bar.
Tonttu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tonttu »

Jaws wrote:Sorry, my bad. I assumed everyone that used KDE would switch their desktop to -> Folder View <- as soon as the desktop loaded the first time. I think I do this unconsciously and I'm not even sure what the default is anymore.

Anyway, unlock the Widgets, choose > Desktop Settings from that right click or just click on the Cashew in the upper right hand corner of your desktop and again choose Desktop Settings, (either way will do ). In the dialog that pops up in the -> View -> Layout: drop-down, select -> Folder View, Apply.

Everything I posted before should now work.
Cool, thanks! I will try this tomorrow and I'm already 100% sure this will work, because I remember the folder view obeyed the font size settings, but I closed it and I didn't know you could change the whole desktop to the style like that. I will mark the thread solved after I do it.

Return to “Software & Applications”