I think Linux has got this one :)

Chat about Linux in general

I think Linux has got this one :)

Postby animaguy on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:34 pm

bimsebasse,

I was in college in the 90s with my brother. My brother studied computers and I studies music. My brother works for the Mars Rover. And he was happy when I showed interest in learning Linux.

Without going into detail, I say with no hesitation that it is no surprise that Mac and MS are statistically ahead in of Linux in many surveys.

But the fact remains that The Linux kernal is POWERFUL!

It is like Java. When Java came out the applet was supposedly big but Flash came along and made the applet look slow.

But because Java was built correctly it has solid staying power. C/C++ still gets knocked around because it's design has flaws.

Linux is still solid and it' knock is that it's development community isnt as aggressive as Apple or MS.

And yet Linux is still around because anyone who studies computers relentlessly knows that if you want high speed eventually you have to go linux.
animaguy
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

I think Linux has got this one :)

Postby animaguy on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:43 pm

I am not trying to creat conflict but what I love about this forum, community and distro is that from everything I have personally researched LM is on the right track.

Believe me if I really believed that Mac and MS wasthe future I would own their stock and I would have their software.
animaguy
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Re: I think Linux has got this one :)

Postby Asimov on Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:44 pm

fletcher wrote:
Ubuntu seems to have shot themselves in the foot with Unity. I have barely used it, since I did not like Ubuntu when I first used it three years ago, which is why I am on Mint. But from what I have read and seen on blogs all over the web, people do not like Unity. It is, apparently, not as user friendly, and I personally think it unattractive. Feel free to disagree with me on either of those points. One of the great things abotu Linux, in my opinion, is the disagreement. It helps build stronger distros, and expand usage.


Then there is Mint. Mint was started to be a usable distribution that could appeal to a lot of people. And it has only gotten better at that. MATE and Cinnamon are perfect examples. I never liked Gnome at all, and went with xfce, then LXDE, when I came to Mint. But I like Cinnamon, and t is now my desktop of choice. It made a convert of me, and I only tried it because Mint discontinued my DE of choice. And from all reports, MATE is a great DE, too. So instead of creating an unpopular DE that seems to be more tuned for touch screen, such as Ubuntu did, the Mint developers found and made good replacements for Gnome. Better than the original, in fact. Mint is also noob friendly, as it is set up to be easy to use. I never thougth the same about Ubuntu, even on 9.04. Mint can be used and learned pretty painlessly by new Linux users. So can many other distributions, like ZOrin and Zeven and others, but I have found Mint to be by far the best and easiest to make your own.
Asimov
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:04 am

Re: I think Linux has got this one :)

Postby RETNUH on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:31 am

animaguy, I don't think you see where the money comes in. Just having a great product isn't enough. You have to be noticed. That is where the money comes in.
We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak. -Albert Einstein

Formerly known as Luckydog.

Looking for me? Check the IRC I've been hanging out there.
User avatar
RETNUH
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 456
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:55 pm
Location: Nebraska, USA

I think Linux has got this one :)

Postby animaguy on Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:12 am

RETNUH,

I definitely understand that the money issue goes to MS and Apple. They make products and they have customer support services.

Linux as a product is a solid product. B
And the biggest service that I can think of off the top of my head is Linux Administrator. But because it is specialized skill, HR has to have a keen sense of who is worthy enough to hire as a Linux Administrator and how much they are truly worth to the company.

Another example of paid work is developers and programmers. Programmers can always prove themselves via open source development. Thus raising their stock in the open programming job market.

As far as tangible products are concerned that is certainly limited for Linux due to the nature of GNU.

On the flip side, Apple from my observations make a lot of their income from hardware design which caters to their own software. I believe that is a distinct advantage over Microsoft which is hisyorically built as a software company. I believe the UEFI issue will be interesting but I have a hard time believing that Linux users will be forced by BIOS engineers to purchase a key code. We will see.

But getting back to the original topic of this thread, Linux Mints most redeeming value is the ease of use for newbie converts.

Now I speak mainly for myself when I say that I was only really dependent on Microsoft because first, Apple is too expensive for my overall budget and I didn't know the Linux paradigm and the only real way to learn Linux is to wipe out Windows and immerse myself in an easy but stable Linux distro. Linux Mint does that. And as I research the LM OS I am wondering if it is customizable for a motivated enthusiast to match the high level specs demanded by high level software programs. Yhat still remains to be seen.

As far as the money issue is concerned, the politics behind corporate decision making can get very complicated to the point where share holder satisfaction is at times more important than innovation.

Take your pick, i suppose.

If maximum monetary reward is what you want then the fact remains that the computer industry isn't the only industry where you can make a lot of money. If that is what you are focused on.

I enjoy building computer software and hardware and experimenting with technology. I have other ways of paying the rent and putting food on the table. And I am not interested in purchasing MS and Mac products that were designed more to make me dependent on continuously paying for updates and security measures and other products and services like a slave.

And I dare say that I am not alone with this line of thinking.
animaguy
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:04 pm

I think Linux has got this one :)

Postby animaguy on Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:23 am

Because Linux Mint is a stable and easy to use distro I have been able to use it as a platform for experimentin with other distros as well.

I have tried Ubuntu and like LM better. I still haven't tried Debian but I suppose I will get around to it.

I have tried CentOS and Fedora. I actually like CentOS and I will stay with it. Fedora isn't very interesting to me.

I even tried Arch but the complexity is not for me, at least not right now.

And I suppose it is possible I may purchase a legit copy of Win8 but I wouldn't bet on it.

All this was and is possible because of Linux Mint.

And what I find hilarious is Linux is far more powerful than What Mac and Microsoft have to offer cause their development is based on what sells versus what works.
animaguy
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:04 pm

I think Linux has got this one :)

Postby animaguy on Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:29 am

Earlier this afternoon I installed LAMP on Linux Mint. I almost exploded with laughter as to how easy it was.

It took me months to learn how to install MAMP and WAMP. It almost drove me crazy.

This is just another reason why I am now hooked and wired to the Linux Mint community.

And if you are wondering, do not be too surprised "when" I become a moderator and a full fledged Linux Mint developer.

I plan to put my money where my computer keyboard is!

Bet on it!
animaguy
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:04 pm

I think Linux has got this one :)

Postby animaguy on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:40 am

If you are an entreprenur and a businessman

And you are software savy and hardware savy

And you want to invest in tech

And you are a creative and innovative thinker

And a hardworker

But you have limited financial resources

you have no excuse for not doing your homework with Linux
animaguy
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Re: I think Linux has got this one :)

Postby Asimov on Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:52 pm

animaguy wrote:
And what I find hilarious is Linux is far more powerful than What Mac and Microsoft have to offer cause their development is based on what sells versus what works.


Not exactly true. the development of the concept of WYSIWYG was a major selling factor in the editing industry. Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark express are still the tools of choices in the world of edition. And in the web edition market, Apple is a major player. The Mac look likes big toys, but the software for edition on this platform is the best.
Asimov
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:04 am

Re: I think Linux has got this one :)

Postby d00med on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:56 pm

animaguy wrote:Read your history.
Apple is currently on top of the world and MS is struggling now.


Pretty sure MS leads by a large margin on desktops. But source?

Until Apple Macs become a leading gaming platform that rivals Direct X, MS has nothing to worry about.
d00med
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:55 am

Re: I think Linux has got this one :)

Postby animaguy on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:34 pm

d00med

When I say Apple is on top of the world, I am refering to their company as a whole. Not just their operating system.

But you make a good point about DirectX in Windows. Windows does have DirectX gaming cornered as a market. I certainly agree with that. For developers on Linux however, that is fertile ground. I am not sure but my understanding is Collada is supposed to be the answer for DirectX.
animaguy
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Re: I think Linux has got this one :)

Postby animaguy on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:43 pm

Asimov wrote:Not exactly true. the development of the concept of WYSIWYG was a major selling factor in the editing industry. Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark express are still the tools of choices in the world of edition. And in the web edition market, Apple is a major player. The Mac look likes big toys, but the software for edition on this platform is the best.


I worked with Photoshop and Illustrator and yes they do hold a strong place in their respective purposes. Never worked with Quark.

When you say WYSIWYG, I personally have outgrown that concept. I did find Dreamweaver to be a great achievment but I have to admit that for me it isn't worth the hassle. I prefer Eclipse. Eclipse does fine with me.

For simple stuff Gimp works for me. I use Blender and love it. Maya and 3DMax aren't even part of the equation on this issue.

WYSIWYG was a selling point for beginner web designers but for coders who want to last, knowing how to read lines of codes and distinguish patterns and how to conceptualize how those patterns are translated to the finished product makes the concept of WYSIWYG an unnecessary crutch. It is just a selling point and not a long term feature.

I won't pay for a program just because of some WYSIWYG feature. And the only reason why I paid it in the past was because Linux and open source weren't advanced enough to compete with Apple and MS.

I believe they are now. And Linux and the GNU community is steadily catching up.
animaguy
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Re: I think Linux has got this one :)

Postby d00med on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:17 pm

animaguy wrote:d00med

When I say Apple is on top of the world, I am refering to their company as a whole. Not just their operating system.

But you make a good point about DirectX in Windows. Windows does have DirectX gaming cornered as a market. I certainly agree with that. For developers on Linux however, that is fertile ground. I am not sure but my understanding is Collada is supposed to be the answer for DirectX.


Windows 8 might be the turning point, like you say. Valve's Gabe Newell called Win8 a 'catastrophe' and wants to put more support behind Linux. The next few of years are going to be interesting IMO.
d00med
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:55 am

Re: I think Linux has got this one :)

Postby Asimov on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:35 pm

animaguy wrote:
WYSIWYG was a selling point for beginner web designers but for coders who want to last.


there many concept that you should explored. The API of MACOX is the most advance interface in the world of computer. If you had done some programming, your are familiar with the "events". I bet that you have never see an API with "network events".
Asimov
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:04 am

I think Linux has got this one :)

Postby animaguy on Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:50 am

Asimov,

I am not familiar with MACOX. And I am interested to learn how this applies to this topic. I may google it for the fun of learning something new.

Generally, I am a Java, C/C++, python, php, html5 and css guy.

What you say sounds interesting.
animaguy
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:04 pm

I think Linux has got this one :)

Postby animaguy on Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:53 am

Asimov,

I'm sorry but I am not finding anything on google for MACOX.
animaguy
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Re: I think Linux has got this one :)

Postby Garvan on Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:18 am

animaguy wrote:Asimov,

I'm sorry but I am not finding anything on google for MACOX.

It looks like a typo, or a spelling error.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS
Desktop: Dell, Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz, 2GiB RAM, Lubuntu 14.04 (trusty)
Notebook: HP 14 Notebook PC 14-r003TX, i5-4210U @ 1.7 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17
Notebook: DELL latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Windows 7
User avatar
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 3:26 am
Location: Lao PDR

I think Linux has got this one :)

Postby animaguy on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:29 am

Asimov, I do not know what qualifies for advanced interface for Mac OS as being the most advanced interface.

I only consider that an OS is a container that houses functionality. I certainly believe Mac holds a respected position in hardware design used in conjunction and exclusively with it's proprietary OSX. However when it cones to choosing an OS for high powered usage linux still wins.

Mac certainly has a top spot with consumers who can afford the price and like a high level of user friendliness. I completely agree with that. I can even agree that the API is complex because
proprietary software has to compete with non proprietary developers but that is far as I will go.

Linux is much leaner an open for innovation and high level applicability.

Mac OS up until this point has done a respectable job of avoiding bloat but it will always be held back because resources have to be devoted to protect its proprietary properties.

Linux can always be adjusted to meet the individual purposes of it's users.
animaguy
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:04 pm

I think Linux has got this one :)

Postby animaguy on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:33 am

a simpler way of putting it is, mac os has to spend money paying employees to monitor 24/7 its security.

Linux does not.

Macs design must be complicated and held together at all times cause any breach of security will cut into its bottom line.

Linux does not.

Linux can be as simple and as complex as its purposes want to be with no concern for market share issues.
animaguy
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Re: I think Linux has got this one :)

Postby KBD47 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:18 pm

bimsebasse wrote:If a major mainstream breakthrough happens it won't be with either Mint or Ubuntu, it will be ChromeOS or Android desktopified, there can be no doubt about that.


I suspect you may be right. 90% of what most people do and need are through a web browser. Huge underlying operating systems, tons of hard drive space, I suspect will be a diminishing presence in the future.
I think what helps Linux is that the excuses for not using it are also diminishing. If all you really need is a browser and access to the web--why not use Linux? What need is there for Windows? I would be really worried if I had MS stock right now.
Apple is going to do just fine because they have a locked down system with many fans and it works across various devices. Also they have lots of content, and as you see with Amazon and their tablet success--people want content.
Regarding Mint, I think it's a mistake if they don't focus more on their Debian editions and reconsider the base Debian system and the way updates are handled. Debian editions are free of the Ubuntu bloat, run on low spec hardware, and if Mint ever gets into Tablets it will likely be via Debian (LMDE). I'm most impressed with the Mint Maya Xfce edition right now. It is the lightest Mint Ubuntu based version, and yet has 5 years LTS support that even Xubuntu 12.04 doesn't have. I have big concerns about Gnome, and wonder what Mint might have done if they just focused on an Xfce Ubuntu-based edition, and put more resources into LMDE. Imagine using a LMDE Xfce tweaked version on Tablets. I think if they could keep Gnome from breaking Cinnamon, and get it running faster with more features, a Cinnamon LMDE would look good on a tablet.
KBD47
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
PreviousNext

Return to Chat about Linux

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests