Canon LBP 5300 printer not working in Mint 13 64-bits SOLVED

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sourcefinder

Canon LBP 5300 printer not working in Mint 13 64-bits SOLVED

Post by sourcefinder »

Hi,

Im new to Linux. I've installed mint 13 MATE 64-bits on my computer and tried to configure my Canon LBP 5300 (in network setup). Because the LBP 5300 can't be found in the default batabase, I have downloaded the drivers, translated them from .rpm to .deb and then installed them. With no luck: the tasks seemed to be sent to the printer, but the printer just doesn't print...

Second go was to install Mint 13 Cinnamon (also 64-bits). Cinnamon did find the LBP 5300 out of the box, but woth the same result. I don't think it has any use to try to install the original drivers again.

I read the article from pdc_2, but this article doesn't cover the 64-bits version. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance!

Greetings, Sourcefinder.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Canon LBP 5300 printer not working in Mint 13 64-bits

Post by pdc_2 »

I agree this guide is not easy to find

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CanonCaptDrv190

however it is the best I think; did you use something like that

did you install the 64bit drivers from the 2.4 canoncapt .tar.gz file?

what does the command
captstatusui -P LBP5300
give; if you copy and paste the result back here

also what does
sudo /etc/init.d/ccpd status
.........give

the previous way to register the printer in CUPS was
and following the above guide, I used
sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p LBPxxxx -m CNCUPSLBP5000CAPTK.ppd -v ccp://localhost:59787 -E
.....where obviously xxxx is the specific number for one's own printer

If you install the 64bit driver from Canon, the /lib issue should be okay: the default drivers from Canon tell the system to look in /lib and when folks install 64 bit systems they create /lib64 instead and a symbolic link is needed to tell the Canon driver to look in /lib64 instead of /lib

eg in this post

https://phpraxis.wordpress.com/2012/07/ ... ntu-linux/

the package is
pstoufr2cpca
and a symbolic link is needed to tell the Canon driver to look in
/usr/lib64/cups/filter/
instead of where it assumes it will be, which would have been
/usr/lib/cups/filter/
sourcefinder

Post by sourcefinder »

Hi pdc_2,

Sorry for the slow reaction and thanks for your information.

I followed the steps as told in: https://phpraxis.wordpress.com/2012/07/ ... ntu-linux/. Restarted computer, no results

Nex I edited ccpd.conf like told in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CanonCaptDrv190:

Next, check for record in /etc/ccpd.conf
For a network printer such as the LBP7200Cdn, the "DevicePath" should say "net:<ipaddress>", so for example if your network printer is on IP address 192.169.1.69, then the entry in /etc/ccpd.conf should say
<Printer Canon_LBP5300>
DevicePath net:192.168.x.3
</Printer>

Restarted computer. No results.

Your questions:
captstatusui -P Canon_LBP5300 gives sthe statusmonitor (ready to print).

sudo etc/init.d/ccpd status gives: /usr/sbin/ccpd: 1919 1916

The content of ccpd.conf is:

<Path>
CUPS_ConfigPath /etc/cups/

# Log directory path.
# LogDirectoryPath /var/log/CCPD/

</Path>

<Printer Canon_LBP5300>
DevicePath net:192.168.x.3
</Printer>

<Ports>
# Default 59787
UI_Port 59787
PDATA_Port 59787
</Ports>

I have performed these actions on a clean installed Linux 13 Mint Cinnamon (64-bit); the firewall is disabled by default. When printing, the computer says that the task is accomplished, but it simply doesn't print or gives any errors.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

sorry; off on hols for 10 days; will check in when back;

some canon problems are that the canon programme thinks it should look in /lib and if you have 64 bit, it should actually look in /lib64

so you need to set up a "symbolic link" to tell it to look in /lib64

if you google on that, see if it applies to the CAPT driver
sourcefinder

Post by sourcefinder »

No problem; I can still work on windows. Enjoy your hols!

For anyone else who is following this:

I have made the link from lib64 to lib as told in the phpraxis-link. I also installed Linux Min 13 MATE (64-bit) to see how it would react on your information. With the information given on the phpraxis-link I got a socket error with captstatusui.

Next I uninstalled the printer (not the drivers) and installed it back with sudo /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p LBP5300 -m CNCUPSLBP5300CAPTK.ppd -v ccp://localhost:59787 -E. After restarting ccpd I got no socket error anymore, but the printer refuses to print anyway.

Next move: at the properties from the LBP 5300 the machine URI changed form localhost to socket://192.168.x.3:9100 and restarted ccpd. Good results on captstatusui (but still doesn't print).

By restarting the computer captstatusui -P LBP5300 gives me a... socket error. Switching the printer off/on doesn't help. Restarting ccpd DOES help: captstatusui gives me the statusmonitor. But printing? No way.

sudo /etc/init.d/ccpd status gives /usr/sbin/ccpd: 1828 1826, but no printer name. I think here lies the problem...
sourcefinder

Post by sourcefinder »

After a few hours research I discovered that the first error comes from CUPS. After starting the computer and then the printer, the error on the cups error page is:

W [16/Aug/2012:13:28:39 +0200] failed to CreateProfile: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply:Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

After printing a page, the following error appears in the cups error page:

E [16/Aug/2012:13:47:52 +0200] [Job 26] Can't connect to CCPD: Connection refused
E [16/Aug/2012:13:47:52 +0200] [Job 26] ccp send_data error, exit
E [16/Aug/2012:13:47:52 +0200] [Job 26] Job aborted due to backend errors; please consult the error_log file for details.
sourcefinder

Re: Canon LBP 5300 printer not working in Mint 13 64-bits SO

Post by sourcefinder »

After intensive contact with Canon the problem with the LBP5300 is solved. Not in the way most readers want to see; I got my LBP5300 swapped for an LBP7660Cdn. This printer works out of the box (first install the drivers, of course). Canon Netherlands was very eager to help me out. An advise for those who want to have their new or used Canon devices working in Linux Mint 13.0/Ubuntu Linux 12.04: see if Canon provides original debian install-packets. When there are none, it will probably be difficult to get your device working! Translating the RPM-packages will probably not help, as it didn help me out with the LBP5300.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

well done; enjoy

at the very start you said
Im new to Linux. I've installed mint 13 MATE 64-bits

......... I suspect...........that if you had just installed 32bit Mint (that I think runs at the same speed as 64bit)..........

...... your LBP5300 would have ...........run as well as my LBP3100 does...... on my mint 13 MATE 32-bits..........................

I have enormous admiration for your unceasing energy in solving this; well done; and pleased that Canon were keen to help you; and delivered so well.

I see the LBP7660CDN is a different class of printer, it is an ImageClass laser printer

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/ ... ndSoftware

and uses the UFR II driver (and not the CAPT driver...........)

http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home/Pr ... S_LBP5300/ ................LBP5300 uses the CAPT driver......

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Phew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just re-read the post by phpraxis

https://phpraxis.wordpress.com/2012/07/ ... ntu-linux/

that you mentioned in post #3 .............

He describes using the UFR II driver ..............and in that post there are NO DEBIAN PACKAGES for 64bit systems, and he describes using ALIEN;

..............tell us how you installed your UFR II driver .......................
sourcefinder

Post by sourcefinder »

I'm sorry to dissapoint you, pdc_2: I have installed Mint 32bit on a different machine; just the same problems as the 64bit version. I think the difference lies in the fact that the LBP3100 is standard supported by CUPS and the LBP5300 isn't. Further I want to use the 64bit version of Linux Mint, because I do a lot of multitasking: often I have opened Thunderbird, the Gimp, Aptana Studio, Libre Office Writer, Calc at the same time, using multiple documents in each program. Therefore I know that when I use the 32bit version, I will experience the difference between the 32bit and the 64bit version. And when not now, I will be noticing the difference in each following version of Linux Mint. I also think that the 64bit version has the future...

Thanks: I also admire the way you tried to help me out and the information you shared for installing CAPT-based printers under Linux Mint. I've learned a lot from your information, and I hope that other users can use our information well!

Phpraxis: Canon itselve deployes debian drivers for the LBP7660Cdn; for the LBP5300 there where only RPM packages, wich had to be translated to debian through Alien. I think Alien does work well. However, when a driver is optimized for distro's that use RPM, I can imagine that that particulairy driver is not optimized for distro's that use Debian. A translation using Alien can't change that. That's the reason why I advise only to use (Canon) devices that distributes Debian-packages directly from Canon.

The installation procedure of the LBP7660Cdn was very, very simple: I just downloaded the original debian installation files for this printer from the Canon website, installed them and installed my printer by using the standard wizard on the -how do I say that in English- configuration screen? So I didn't had to use Alien. It was as simple (even more simple) as installing a printer in MS Windows. Hope that this is the answer you were looking for.

Again, thanks for the help, it motivates me to share information for other LInux Mint users!
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

thanks

.........working through your post.. you say

"I think the difference lies in the fact that the LBP3100 is standard supported by CUPS and the LBP5300 isn'"...........

when I look here, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CanonCaptDrv190 ........I can't see why you say the 3100 is different from the 5300.......help me understand this if you have the time........

"Further I want to use the 64bit version of Linux Mint, because I do a lot of multitasking".............fine...........great................I may have 6 or more programmes open............happily............on 32bit Mint!!

...........from somewhere.....when I googled on the 7660CDN.........I got the impression ...........it used the UFR drivers............ http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403950,00.asp...........

.............googling again................

http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0011053.asp

I now see Canon call them the CQue drivers; ........and ................as you so rightly say...........they have .deb packages and 64 bit packages............... well done Canon..............

thanks for your kind comments on my postings to help you; delighted you are so pleased with your printer; you really seem to have ended up with a super result: a great printer; an easy download and install of 64bit .deb package printer driver from Canon...........so congratulations on your thoroughness and hard work................keep an eye on the forum.........you may well be able to help others!!
sourcefinder

Post by sourcefinder »

Yes you're absolutely right. There was somehow and somewhere a difference beteeen the LBP3100 and the 5300, but this wasn't it. Since I haven got the LBP5300 anymore, I can't find where I (think I) saw that the LBP3100 was standard supported, and the LBP5300 wasn't.

Memory: I just don't want to risk performance loss due to a 32-bit version of Linux. I didn't check how much memory I use am using during the use of my PC (don't know how yet), but with the programs I use I can image that the 32-bits limits will come in sight, in this version or in the following ones. Another reason why I want to use to 64-bit: with 8 Gb of memory in my PC it just doesn't feel good to stick by a 32-bits version. Last but not least: 64-bits has got the future, so in my opinion it is more interesting to spend energy on that variant.

It would have been perfect to test the LBP5300 further. On the other hand; the tryout to configure the LBP5300 costed me a lot of time. With the LBP7660Cdn the configuration was fast and stabile. I just hope that when there are .deb packages available for devices such as printers, scanners and so on, that will be a quarantee for a simple installation on Linux.

Your help conviced me that I have a lot to learn before I can call myself an "advanced Linux user". Since I want to promote Linux Mint on the desktops I sell, I will certainly follow this forum! Personally I think that Windows 8 will draw a lot more desktop users to Linux, and from that I can imagine that laptops/ultrabooks will follow.

The next thing I will do is to write a short manual to install the LBP7660Cdn on Linux Mint 13 Maya 32 bits and 64 bits. I also promised this to Canon Netherlands in exchange for their efforts to help me out.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

The next thing I will do is to write a short manual to install the LBP7660Cdn on Linux Mint 13 Maya 32 bits and 64 bits. I also promised this to Canon Netherlands in exchange for their efforts to help me out.
great;
Since I want to promote Linux Mint on the desktops I sell
.....very good too............. hopefully a Mint install can be a stable thing that will keep running for folks; Mint 13 is the LTS version
sourcefinder

Post by sourcefinder »

I don't see why not; I've installed Mint 13 on several testmachines, from one to six years old. It's very stable and has only a few small disadvantages compared to MS Windows, but it also has a lot of advantages. The many advantages should be enough to convince a lot of people to choose for Mint 13, especialy now that Windows 8 seems to be a less desktop- and laptop friendly OS. From that last point Mint has got a lot of potention to grow out to a serious competitor of MS Windows.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”