A wish for LMDE UP5 respins

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
squeezy

A wish for LMDE UP5 respins

Post by squeezy »

I wish that new ISOs for UP5 would be made with separate MATE and Cinnamon releases instead of the combined release that currently exists.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: A wish for LMDE UP5 respins

Post by vrkalak »

You must remember, that LMDE / Mints Team of Developers, Maintainers and Testers is rather small, when compared to most other big/popular OS-distros Teams.

The more Editions/Releases the Team makes, means the more there is to test and maintain. We don't want to spread ourselves too thinly and bite off more than we can handle, while still releasing a quality OS-distro.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

Well, since it had been done with Mint 13 I thought it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to do it for LMDE as well. That combined release is bollocks.
Jenia

Post by Jenia »

I support the notion of a respin, but why make a separate CD for both MATE and Cinnamon?
Instead make one ISO with an installer that lets you select which desktop environment to install.

EDIT: I assume someone's already working on that?
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

In the next ISO respin, which will/should feature UP 6, MATE and Cinnamon will be separate. The problem with selecting one is that if the ISO comes with both, then you have to download a large ISO with both even if you only want one. Also, if an ISO comes with MATE, but it gives you the option of downloading and installing Cinnamon instead, then you have to download all of gnome 3/Cinnamon. Finally, if an ISO were to have Cinnamon as default, it might not work with your hardware (meaning you couldn't install), or if the ISO had MATE you wouldn't know if Cinnamon worked with your hardware. Having them together on one ISO, on the other hand, adds duplication of programs.

Return to “LMDE Archive”