WN311T Install question wi-fi question

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: WN311T Install question wi-fi question

Post by Husse »

Ndiswrapper and ndisgtk the GUI for ndiswrapper are installed by default in Mint - also the live cd
So put the inf on the USB stick and as long as you don't have to reboot you are good to go
Also read the wiki
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/MintWifi
especially "The first step" as I think you may have to restart networking
Good luck
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

You also need the sys (?) file for the driver. I recommend downloading the driver installer for windows, if you have to run the exe to uncompress it, save ALL the files to the usb stick, then reboot into Mint, use the GUI (prefer terminal myself, but...), then make sure ndiswrapper is loaded (in terminal):

Code: Select all

ndiswrapper -l
lsmod | grep ndiswrapper
The first command should list the drivers ndiswrapper have installed, the second will check if ndiswrapper is actually loaded. If it returns blank, you need to load it:

sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
Then restart NetworkManager (nm-applet):

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
Then it should be up and running
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Husse

Post by Husse »

For some reason networking restart does not always work in Daryna (I think it's a lock file somewhere)
That's why I specifically referred to the First step section of the wiki
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Ohh, I usually prefer a reboot over restarting nm, for different reasons.... But I did not know that, thanks Husse, I really should read more in the wiki....
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin

Return to “Beginner Questions”