My idea of in ergonomic desktop

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Asimov

My idea of in ergonomic desktop

Post by Asimov »

Almost everything is accessible in one click. I created it with enlightenment .
now_you_dont_small.png
now_you_see_small.png
- Favorite apps on the top.
- Network apps on top left side
- Drive related apps bottom left side
- Apps for setting the desktop (sound volume, keyboard switching, xsnapshot,etc) at the bottom
- Minimized window at the right.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: My idea of in ergonomic desktop

Post by xenopeek »

Moving this here. Though it is an interesting look, I don't see how this is relevant to Linux Mint development. There is no Enlightenment edition of Linux Mint.
Asimov

Post by Asimov »

Theses ideas can be borrow for future development of Mate and Cinnamon !

That's why, i posted theses images...

Think this Enlightenment's version as a proof of concept.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Ah, well :D It is not really in line with the vision of what the Linux Mint developers are trying to do. Linux Mint is trying to give users what is often called the "classical desktop paradigm". That is, a bottom panel with a menu, launchers and applets. Optionally also a top panel. The Cinnamon, MATE, KDE and Xfce editions all implement this in a (somewhat for KDE) similar look. Your screenshots are nice looking, and it is up to each user how to personalize their Linux Mint desktop (if they so desire) from the default provided :wink: That default is unlikely to be changed by the Linux Mint developers to something radically different from what most users are used to or expecting.

Did you install Enlightenment on top of Linux Mint? You might want to add it to the desktop screenshots topic to show other users instead: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=214.
Asimov

Post by Asimov »

xenopeek wrote:Ah, well :D It is not really in line with the vision of what the Linux Mint developers are trying to do. Linux Mint is trying to give users what is often called the "classical desktop paradigm".
LXDE already fill that niche. A mix of Windows XP and Mac OS, that perfect thing for a beginner. i do not see the need to produce a second one. You should put your energy for creating something superior to Window and Mac, not a bad copy. A desktop adaptable for the need of the professional. An interface perfect to managed all the servers of Google.
xenopeek wrote: That is, a bottom panel with a menu, launchers and applets. Optionally also a top panel.
I do not like fixed panel at the top, specially when the top of the windows are sharing the same color. It's annoying when you are using something like Firefox.
xenopeek wrote: The Cinnamon, MATE, KDE and Xfce editions all implement this in a (somewhat for KDE) similar look.
A lot of eyes candy, but with terrible API. QT is stable, not bad but very limited. The FOX Toolkit is much superior. The lack of stability of the API is the second big handicap for is acceptance in government department as substitute of windows.
xenopeek wrote: Your screenshots are nice looking, and it is up to each user how to personalize their Linux Mint desktop (if they so desire) from the default provided :wink: That default is unlikely to be changed by the Linux Mint developers to something radically different from what most users are used to or expecting.

Not only is this cute, but this kind of interface would work with a tablet ...
All you need is a visual keyboard with a visual mouse pad and you are in business.
xenopeek wrote: Did you install Enlightenment on top of Linux Mint? You might want to add it to the desktop screenshots topic to show other users instead: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=214.
Yes, because enlightenment do not have a lot of tool for administration task.
munin

Post by munin »

With Mint 13 Mate I have the fastest and and best organized desktop I have ever used or tried, and that includes the Enligtenment desktop. One needs a bit of experience to do that, and one needs to know what extra programs to install. There are a few things I can do to make it even better. There are a few things with arranging files in a folder that works better in other distros, but there are ways to handle that. :wink:
Asimov

Post by Asimov »

It's look a lot like Mint 11. Which was the best interface ever made with Gnome. Very intuitive. That perfect for the administration. But like all the desktop base on Gnome, some powerfuls tricks are missing.
For example: i'm using 4 virtuals screens, i can change screen with my scroll wheel and by pressing ALT. And a can go thought all my windows with my scroll wheel and by pressing the "Windows" key.

Theoretically, you can create 4! *3 commands for your mouse in Enlightenment.

Creating a fork of Gnome will be a great opportunity to fix the limitation of Gnome.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Asimov wrote:Creating a fork of Gnome will be a great opportunity to fix the limitation of Gnome.
MATE is a fork of Gnome 2. Cinnamon is a fork of Gnome 3 Shell. So that part is covered :D Not sure what the "4! *3 commands" are though, or if indeed this is added to MATE or Cinnamon. All that said, if Enlightenment can do all these things, why not use Enlightenment? Use whatever works best for you :wink:
Asimov

Post by Asimov »

xenopeek wrote:
Asimov wrote:Creating a fork of Gnome will be a great opportunity to fix the limitation of Gnome.
MATE is a fork of Gnome 2. Cinnamon is a fork of Gnome 3 Shell. So that part is covered :D Not sure what the "4! *3 commands" are though, or if indeed this is added to MATE or Cinnamon. All that said, if Enlightenment can do all these things, why not use Enlightenment? Use whatever works best for you :wink:
Not sure what the "4! *3 commands" are though
( i am referring to all the combination that you could make with: shift and Crtl and Win and Alt: Factorial 4 * 3 buttons)

All these combination can be used to command the desktop.You do not know how to used all these combinations. Is just a matter of imagination, but the desktop offer the possibility. Programmer will come up with idea.

If your fork do not bring new thing on the plate, how do you expect attract attention?

For instance, it would be a nice thing if the new librairy had an event to warned about an eminent log out or a shut down. Or an event to warn about the mounting of an cd/dvd . And for the opposite. New events would not affect retro-compatibility.

Return to “Open Chat”