Assign an app to key shortcut

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
c0dehunter

Assign an app to key shortcut

Post by c0dehunter »

I uninstalled the default GCalcTool because it didn't recognized comma as separator. Now I've installed Galculator but "Fn+Enter" shortcut doesn't work anymore (previously it opened GCalcTool, now I want it to open Galculator).

I've looked into Keyboard Shortcuts but you can only set shortcuts itself there but not the app which you want to be opened. How to?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Assign an app to key shortcut

Post by kyphi »

GCalcTool does recognise a comma as a separator. Go to Preferences and tick the box "Show thousands separators"

To set a keyboard shortcut, open System Settings, Keyboard, Shortcuts and follow the instructions given on how to edit a shortcut. The Fn key has no mention there - use Ctrl and/or Alt plus another key.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
c0dehunter

Post by c0dehunter »

https://www.google.si/search?sugexp=chr ... tool+comma

^ this makes me wonder about GCalcTool. And enabling that option didn't even work for me.

Thanks for input, I've been able to set the sortcut to CTRL+ENTER which works now for Galculator.
mjones41
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mjones41 »

With Mint 14, the new Mate-Calc V1.4 doesn't show the thousands separator even when the box is ticked in preferences, I read this wont be fixed until version 1.6, which I assume means it's not seen as important.

The solution right now is the install Gcalctool V6.6 from the repos, the thousands preference box works in this one.

I did also see some talk of this being a "regional" issue, I have my region Australia, I wonder if you have US language and region this problem doesn't exist? This might explain why the devs have seemingly put this on the back burner. I use the calculator daily, and it's a night mare dealing with large numbers and no thousands separator.

Anyway I am glad there is a work-around.

Cheers
Matt
linuxmintdebian

Post by linuxmintdebian »

c0dehunter wrote:https://www.google.si/search?sugexp=chr ... tool+comma

^ this makes me wonder about GCalcTool. And enabling that option didn't even work for me.

Thanks for input, I've been able to set the sortcut to CTRL+ENTER which works now for Galculator.
You could also install the app you like and create a softlink in /usr/bin with the name "gcalctool" to that app (e.g. 'ln -s /usr/bin/xcalc /usr/bin/gcalctool')
a dirty solution i think. but it works;-)

Return to “Beginner Questions”