Updating to KDE 4.9

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DaComboMan

Re: Updating to KDE 4.9

Post by DaComboMan »

+ 1 with Adelante's comment.

No issues here at all.
claudecat

Post by claudecat »

I just upgraded to 4.9 as well and it went smooth as silk aside from kdm settings being reset. I had to re-enable auto-login. One minor issue is that kwin will crash if desktop cube is enabled and you have unchecked "show desktop name". Other than that it feels a bit snappier and all is well.
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

la_monda wrote:reinstalled the entire system :oops:
the thing is that it was the first thing to try so i wouldn't have to go under all the desktop customization for my needs
you don't have to reinstall the system to get back to 4.8.4 just ppa-purge the repo install ppa-purge then run sudo ppa-purge ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports and it will downgrade the ppa you can use it with any ppa to get to stock packages
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

the thing is that it was the first thing to try so i wouldn't have to go under all the desktop customization for my needs
Freek

Post by Freek »

cpatrick08 wrote:
you don't have to reinstall the system to get back to 4.8.4 just ppa-purge the repo install ppa-purge then run sudo ppa-purge ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports and it will downgrade the ppa you can use it with any ppa to get to stock packages
Indeed, but that is when this is solved http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 97&start=0
(Which is quite easy to fix by changing oneiric to precise on line 99)
russell664

Post by russell664 »

Hello guys I want to upgrade to kde 4.9 but i have seen bug reports about the cursor icon not bouncing like it should. Can any of you confirm this? Thanks.
Rudemeister

Post by Rudemeister »

My Linux Mint 13 KDE system upgraded to KDE 4.9.1 a while ago and it has been running great. I love KDE now. I also am running kernel 3.5.0-15 generic on my laptop with 4G of RAM and a T7400 dual core CPU. I'm still running the 32-bit kernel because it is more stable. I've been told I really won't gain much with the 64-bit and I'm happy so far. I'm doing a dual boot win Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit too. When I first installed Mint 13 here, I had some consistent Kmail errors and a few others. I don't get any now. I have been wanting to get Gimp 2.8, but I haven't decided the best way to do that yet. My Nvidia driver is the 304.48 too. My laptop has the Quadro NVS 510 optional graphics chipset too. I also have a 500G Seagate SATA drive, a Microsoft Lifecam VX-5000, Logitech USB speakers and a 2TB external USB drive. My laptop is an HP/Compaq nx9420. Really, at this rate I can't think of how I could possibly improve on all this. It just works so good. I have this running on my desktop PC too. But I'm in the middle of upgrading to a dual 4-core Xeon system with 16G of RAM. It's an HP XW8600 that I bought used. I got a great deal on it, but it isn't here yet. There's a bunch of these on eBay too. I'm not sure if I should go with the 64 bit version on it or the 32-bit PAE kernel yet.

Return to “Software & Applications”