Remove grub2 menu entries

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ionmich

Remove grub2 menu entries

Post by ionmich »

Linux Mint 13 64bit KDE

The starting grub2 boot ḿenu presents me with several choices that are no longer usable. The /boot/grub/grub.cfg file tells me "DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE". kde-config-grub2 does not offer a "remove" option. Is there a way I can delete the confusing entries?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: Remove grub2 menu entries

Post by cwsnyder »

All GRUB entries which exist after an update-grub command has been executed are there because there is still a copy of at least the boot files for that entry somewhere on your computer.

You can remove old versions of the kernel (which you can verify by looking in /boot) with Synaptic by searching for the kernel version, then doing a remove. Ubuntu Tweak used to have (and may still have) a way to remove old, unused kernels, also. I can't verify as I use LMDE.
TimeMint

Re: Remove grub2 menu entries

Post by TimeMint »

Thank you!

My computer doesn't have UEFI, but for some reason Grub2 on Linux Mint 15 set the default linux entry to be the ".efi.signed" image (which doesn't work at all). I've been searching all over these forums (and read Grub2 tutorials) but when it comes to UEFI everyone has the opposite problem of me, and the tutorials only tell me how to add new entries or change the ordering. Just moving efi.signed kernel out of the way and re-running update-grub seems to have done it. Finally!

Return to “Installation & Boot”