Mint Menu Button Question

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Mint Menu Button Question

Post by jbaerbock »

So I have the XFCE taskbar set to be relatively translucent. The problem is the mint menu button stays blah white. Is there any way to get it to act translucent like the rest of the taskbar? I'm betting this is simple and I just haven't ran across it yet haha.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint Menu Button Question

Post by jbaerbock »

Another question along the same lines, is there a way to change the icon fonts on the desktop or have a background rectangle right behind the text so it is visible on dark background. Right now it is hard to see with a black font :(
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

jbaerbock wrote:is there a way to change the icon fonts on the desktop or have a background rectangle right behind the text so it is visible on dark background. Right now it is hard to see with a black font :(
To just change the icon text colour, for example to white instead:

Open your home folder.
Click View > Show hidden files .... scroll down and open the file ".gtkrc-2.0"
It should be empty except for the line

Code: Select all

include ".gtkrc-xfce"
leave that line there, and add the following text:

style "xfdesktop-icon-view" {
XfdesktopIconView::label-alpha = 0

fg[NORMAL] = "#ffffff"
fg[SELECTED] = "#ffffff"
fg[ACTIVE] = "#ffffff"
}

widget_class "*XfdesktopIconView*" style "xfdesktop-icon-view" 
Save the file, and logout/login to show the change.

The hex code ffffff means white. This would give you white text with no background.
You can choose whatever colour you like: http://www.draac.com/hexchart.html Just change the code within the quote marks "#??????"

If you wanted to add a background to the desktop icons, you add a "base" section in the above file and change the number in the first line as well, eg.

style "xfdesktop-icon-view" {
    XfdesktopIconView::label-alpha = 75

base[NORMAL] = "#ffffff"
    base[SELECTED] = "#ffffff"
    base[ACTIVE] = "#ffffff"

fg[NORMAL] = "#000000"
    fg[SELECTED] = "#000000"
    fg[ACTIVE] = "#000000"
}
widget_class "*XfdesktopIconView*" style "xfdesktop-icon-view"
This would give you black text (fg) on a pale-ish white background (base).
The figure in the line XfdesktopIconView::label-alpha = 75 determines the opacity level of the background.
You can further edit the [NORMAL], [SELECTED] and [ACTIVE] codes to change their colours.

Again, save the file and logout/in.

http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfdesktop/advanced

I don't know about the first problem regarding the background transparency of the mintmenu button icon.

caribriz
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

Wow thank you so much! That worked perfectly. Since we're on the font topic. I love the mint-dusk theme but when I go to a website like facebook it then tries to type white text into a white box which ofcourse does not work. Any clue how to get that fixed? I can live with non-black theme but would greatly prefer the black.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

Was able to fix my text problem in xfce-dusk theme by editing the "config file" in the theme folder as such:

text[ACTIVE] = "#777777"
text[INSENSITIVE] = "#fcfcfc"
text[NORMAL] = "#777777"
text[PRELIGHT] = "#fcfcfc"
text[SELECTED] = "#fcfcfc"

Now how do I get those results with a GTK 3.0 theme? Have a better version of dusk which includes GTK 3.0 integration but the config file for it is waaay different...thoughts?
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

jbaerbock wrote:Now how do I get those results with a GTK 3.0 theme? Have a better version of dusk which includes GTK 3.0 integration but the config file for it is waaay different...thoughts?
I'm afraid I have no idea. :? Never had any need myself to do any more than the above ....

I had a look around and found this - it may give you some hints on how to proceed :?:
http://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/3.0/migrating.html
The section "Using the CSS file format" looks like it gives a rundown of the differences between gtk 2 and 3 files, including the "text" section you listed.

Someone else may be able to advise you how to edit the theme files.
If you come up with a solution, please post back and let us know :wink: .

caribriz

Return to “Xfce”