LinuxMint as guest in vmware

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hdesknab

LinuxMint as guest in vmware

Post by hdesknab »

I am running vmware WS 6.0.2 and have installed Daryana witout any problems, after that i installed the vmwaretools still no problems. Then i installed the recomended updates for Daryana, after that the network connection have disapered ?.
I have run the vmware-config-tools.pl again. but still no network interface. I realy would like to use the "bridged connection" rather than the "NAT" configuration, but i am not shure that the NAT is workin anyway.
Found that the vmware virtual Ethernet driver is found in "Restricted drivers" section, but i can still not "use" it ?
Anyone that have run in to this problem and solved it ?.
And please i know that it would in some cases be better to do the opossit (run Linux as primary OS and XP as a guest), but that is not an option in my case.
By the way Cassandra was working fine in this "setup" so why don´t Daryana "like" this ?.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: LinuxMint as guest in vmware

Post by Husse »

Ledsen att du fått vänta....
I don't have any experience of wmware (only Virtualbox) but this virtuality is a bit complicated
Ethernet drivers as restricted drivers? Is it wifi? If not I see no reason for it
No solution if not wifi - sorry, but everyone should have an answer....
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JohnH »

Hi there,

This might sound really dumb, but you have posted in the Newbie forum, so I will go with an obvious suggestion anyway: Have you set your network correctly under the VM>Settings>ethernet1 option? On this menu you can choose the kind of connection, and also see if you are connected. Depending on how you configured vmware when you installed it, wireless does not work without some fiddling.

I use vmware server, and under the vm->settings menu there are ways to configure your connection. (I've never used the Windows version so I'm not sure the menus and options are the same as under Linux).

Best of luck with it: If you have not further luck, go the the vmware forum ("vmware communities" they call it) and do a search. Remember that in most cases that references to Ubuntu most apply to Mint as well.

Best regards
John
hdesknab

Post by hdesknab »

Hi Husse and John,
Thanks for your replys, i am a "bit" on the way :-)
The interface this concerns is a Wiered Ethernet.
I am using a Dell Precision M90, and i am using the Ethernetport on that.
As for the problem, i reconfigured the VM-ware settings so that the LinuxMint is using Ethernet1 but that is a "host-only" so i get the OS up and running, but i can not go "outside" the HW ie. i can not surf (no internet connection). So i am a bit on the way but i still need to able to use the LinuxMint Guest with a "normal" configuration.

Thanks for your replys again.
If i find a solution i´ll update the post.

--Hdesknab
Husse

Post by Husse »

Ok
I've found that Virtualbox sets up a virtual network, I don't know if wmware does this also
Perhaps this can help
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... e_programs

Return to “Beginner Questions”