Going back to Katya

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mchojrin

Going back to Katya

Post by mchojrin »

Hi:

I just wanted to share my recent experience as I downgraded from Maya back to Katya. I really tried gnome3 (Both Cinnamon and Mate) but couldn't get used to either one. The little unpolished details (like the fact that I couldn't get the screensaver to be deactivated when watching a video or the automatic opening of a magnet link with Transmission, and the general feel) made me go back to the last gnome2 edition I know. I've looked around for other distributions (though I really like Mint), but it seems like gnome3 is here for good (I don't really understand why gnome2 has to go away in order for gnome3 to florish, but... at this point, I'm just a user). Does anybody else share my feelings about the new editions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Going back to Katya

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

mchojrin wrote:Hi:

I just wanted to share my recent experience as I downgraded from Maya back to Katya. I really tried gnome3 (Both Cinnamon and Mate) but couldn't get used to either one. The little unpolished details (like the fact that I couldn't get the screensaver to be deactivated when watching a video or the automatic opening of a magnet link with Transmission, and the general feel) made me go back to the last gnome2 edition I know. I've looked around for other distributions (though I really like Mint), but it seems like gnome3 is here for good (I don't really understand why gnome2 has to go away in order for gnome3 to florish, but... at this point, I'm just a user). Does anybody else share my feelings about the new editions?
Well in my case no. Patience is key: Cinnamon and Mate are both in very early stages so teething problems are inevitable. Though I will say that Cinnamon for me has been outstanding. No real deal breakers or killer bugs so far (touches wood), and it's been very complete an experience for me. But I appreciate it's not always the case for all users. I'd say, keep an eye on development and try again a little later on.
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

This is actually quite understandable. MATE, although pretty much Gnome 2, doesn't retain the same name for many of it's applications, so that confused the heck out of me. Cinnamon is buggy and requires a little getting used to. So I can see why someone would be put off by them at the moment.

However, my experience with Cinnamon has been pretty good. I don't like the fact that it crashes and restarts itself so frequently. But, that's about all that gets on my nerves. I'm sure that this bug will be sorted out before too long. If not, then I might just move over to KDE.

I, personally, wouldn't downgrade that far though. Not worth it in my opinion. But, that's just me.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”