conky disappears on desktop click [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pco052

conky disappears on desktop click [Solved]

Post by pco052 »

I have the ff. conky script I copied and pasted from some tutorial: http://pastebin.com/ns77EtEy

It's quite lengthy, but the relevant parts are:

Code: Select all

# Create own window instead of using desktop (required in nautilus)
own_window yes
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_type desktop
If it is: own_window_type desktop
It produces a conky but when i click on the desktop it disappears.

If it is: own_window_type normal
Nothing appears

If it is: own_window_type override
Nothing appears

Kindly help please, I've been stuck here reading conky threads all afternoon. I am running Linux Mint 12.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pco052

Re: conky disappears on desktop click

Post by pco052 »

for anyone having a similar problem the solution is:

own_window_type conky
own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
HughT

Post by HughT »

hi pco052,
this means that the line
own_window_type desktop
should be commented out.
So your conky should read:
own_window yes
# own_window_type desktop
I can't understand why that script hasn't done so, hence your confusion.
My conky is as follows:
own_window yes
own_window_type override
own_window_class Conky
#own_window_type desktop
regards
demonkoryu

Post by demonkoryu »

pco052 wrote:for anyone having a similar problem the solution is:

own_window_type conky
Great! This works for me too!
jaws222

Post by jaws222 »

WORKS LIKE A CHARM!
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: conky disappears on desktop click [Solved]

Post by Flemur »

I had conky working fine for a long time, and then an update and/or the installation of gkrellm made it disappear (still running) after a few seconds, no mouse-clicks necessary.

for anyone having a similar problem the solution is:
own_window_type conky

and

My conky is as follows:
own_window yes
own_window_type override

The above two had no effect for me.

After foolishly thinking that devede could convert a movie to DVD format (real choices: hang at 2% done and continue using CPU, or make a jumpy movie with about 2 FPS), and gkrellm with its buggy GUI returning incorrect values, I'm kinda sick of this always-need-some-stupid-hack bullsh*t, cuz sometimes it's one damned thing after another.

I finally fixed the conky start-and-disappear problem with:
alignment top_left
rather than bottom_right, even though that's where it ends up.
lint

Post by lint »

I am having the same issue. Anytime I click on the desktop Conky disappears. I find this post will be useful, however, I am a novice and could use some direction as to where I should type the values expressed in it. Thank you.

Additionally, after I became aware of the problem you may want to know that I downloaded and installed Conky twice. I assume this will have no affect.

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa xfce 4.
lint

Post by lint »

pco052 wrote:for anyone having a similar problem the solution is:

own_window_type conky
I do not quite understand. This is to be entered into a Terminal: "own_window_type conky" then enter. Then type "own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar_pager" then enter? :cry:
rob1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rob1 »

On two posts, the

own_window_type = 'override',
is given as solution. Some reported however that this didn't work. Anyway, override seems the only solution where conky desklets keep visible under all circumstances: Click on Desktop as well as click on "show desktop" icon. Desklets disappear here when own_window_type is set to normal.

UPDATE: The override option is not working as desired for another reason. When the alt-F2 application start window is started, Information changes on a conky desklet are overwritten (e.g. when a clock number turns from 1 to 2, you see both characters stacked). Then I read the docs (RTFM) and found this:
if own_window is yes, you may specify type normal, desktop, dock, panel or override (default: normal). Desktop windows are special windows that have no window decorations; are always visible on your desktop; do not appear in your pager or taskbar; and are sticky across all workspaces. Panel windows reserve space along a desktop edge, just like panels and taskbars, preventing maximized windows from overlapping them. The edge is chosen based on the alignment option. Override windows are not under the control of the window manager. Hints are ignored. This type of window can be useful for certain situations.
What dock does is not specified, but it does exactly what I want. And I find that the term for it is appropriate. Somewhere it is noted that desklets appear in the foreground, but that is not the case.

BTW, Im running conky 1.10.8 and I found that /etc/conky/conky.conf is in plain lua syntax while many real-world desklets are in the old syntax (without single quoting). But that still works, because it is recognized. When you start conky-startup.sh from the console, then you'll see

conky: Syntax error (/home/rob/.conky/Gotham/Gotham:1: '=' expected near 'yes') while reading config file. 
conky: Assuming it's in old syntax and attempting conversion.

Return to “Beginner Questions”