How to hibernate Linux Mint LMDE XFCE & GNOME

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
on4aa

How to hibernate Linux Mint LMDE XFCE & GNOME

Post by on4aa »

I got this great info from http://experiencinglinux.blogspot.com/2 ... pdate.html and
tested it successfully on a Lenovo SL510 notebook running LMDE 64-bit XFCE.

Please, note that you will need a functional swap partition for hibernate to work.
First, make sure that the following packages are installed:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install acpi acpi-support acpi-support-base acpi-fakekey acpid acpitool pm-utils powermgmt-base hibernate
For XFCE, you will also need:

sudo apt-get install xfce4-power-manager xfce4-power-manager-data xfce4-power-manager-plugins
whereas for GNOME, you will need:

sudo apt-get install gnome-power-manager
Next, take note of the device name /dev/sdx and the UUID of your swap partition:

cat /etc/fstab
Make sure that RESUME=UUID= is filled out correctly in the following configuration file:

gksu gedit /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume
Open GRUB's configuration file and write the swap device name
between the quotes following the variable GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="resume=/dev/sdax" where x is the swap partition number

gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
Finally,

sudo update-initramfs -u && update-grub
and reboot.
Hibernate should work now. Keep your computing green :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zShell

Re: How to hibernate Linux Mint LMDE XFCE & GNOME

Post by zShell »

Hey man I ran into some problems

First I couldn't get the

sudo apt-get install acpi acpi-support acpi-support-base acpi-fakekey acpid acpitool pm-utils powermgmt-base hibernate
part, it wouldnt find the repo and when I went and DL it manually it wouldnt install, said there was an error during process

There was nothing in /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/

And after running

I rebooted and got a kernel panic just after selecting Mint in grub (hard freeze with blinking caps lock and scroll lock leds blinking)

It did restart fine the second time, but I'm still unable to hibernate :(

I got a Dell Vostro with Mint 12 LXDE, what could be the problem
vincezd

Post by vincezd »

Thanks a lot !!
donv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by donv »

Just worked great for me on LMDE/Mate 201204, thanks! Only issue was that the combined command line:

did not execute update-grub as root/sudo (error returned), so I had to enter a separate

sudo update-grub
to complete the action as root. Also, note gedit is now replaced by pluma as the text editor, apparently (at least on my default install).
LM20/Ulyana MATE on ASRock AB350M PRO4/AMD Ryzen 2200G and Acer Aspire E5-575-33BM
LMDE3 on Asus EeePC 1000HA
LMDE1(!) on ASUS AT3IONT-I DELUXE (HTPC)
bfrancom

Post by bfrancom »

Thanks! This worked nicely for me on LMDE XFCE.
I had to change the UUID to what LVM showed in lvdisplay, and also had to change the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX to my logical volume path.
luis.nando

Post by luis.nando »

Hello guys, I have a question related to this thread. How to hibernate and suspend in the command line, so I can assign keystrokes in xfce??
thanks
TarasMK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TarasMK »

Hi all,

I had another configuration without swap partition and with swap file. Some steps would differ in this case and it's described here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1042946
May be someone else will gain from it too ;)
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

I believe also...

your swap partition need to be => then installed memory (I usually use 1.25 installed memory for swap) I.E. 5MB if 4MB sticks installed

J.Jay
bigbenaugust

Post by bigbenaugust »

luis.nando wrote:Hello guys, I have a question related to this thread. How to hibernate and suspend in the command line, so I can assign keystrokes in xfce??
thanks
I do it with: pm-suspend or pm-hibernate.

I set this up on my netbook at home yesterday, but didn't install any other packages other than what came with the LMDE XFCE install... but it seems that I should have ACPI installed.

EDIT: I checked, acpi was part of the default LMDE install on my machines.

Also, pm-suspend and pm-hibernate (symlinks to /usr/lib/pm-utils/bin/pm-action) are world-executable. I'd been running them via sudo all this time. Oops.
luis.nando

Post by luis.nando »

Hello all,

Is there any way of doing this using mate? I made a new install in my system using btrfs and mate. I followed the tutorial http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ts#p635755, but after the system was ready I couldn't set the hibernation changing the parameters as suggested in this forum entry. Does someone have any idea of how to solve this case?

My fstab:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/sda1 / btrfs defaults,subvol=@ 0 0
/dev/sda1 /home btrfs defaults,subvol=home 0 0
/dev/sda5   none   swap   sw   0   0
My /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume

RESUME=/dev/sda5
Best regards,

Luís Fernando
talora

Post by talora »

It worked perfectly on Linux Mint Debian Edition. Thanks a lot!
grokenberger

Post by grokenberger »

Now my machine hibernates again. Thanks a lot! This has been bugging me since way too long.
tunist

Post by tunist »

hmm.. maybe i missed something here.. but i used this process to activate hibernation on lmde here and was unable to reboot..
the hibernate and suspend buttons have always been visible and generally the suspend has been ok and i 'thought' hibernate worked at least once.
recently though they both stopped being triggered when i pressed their buttons and instead the screen was locked.
i thought maybe this process would resolve the issue, though my challenge appears to be located elsewhere..

if anyone has any other ideas i would appreciate hearing them.
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

does it work for lmde mate also? i tried it once and it did make some snapshots of the system and worked once, but most of the time it just hangs during the loading animation :roll:
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

if you could disable plymouth and grab the log file it will be easier for us to identify your problem.

Return to “LMDE Archive”