Archos 9 Touchscreen Driver & Mini Touchpad

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MarkL

Archos 9 Touchscreen Driver & Mini Touchpad

Post by MarkL »

Hi Everyone,

I've been using Linux Mint for a while now and am happy to discover that the Maya version works 90% on my Archos 9. There are 2 problems though and I need help/guidance on one of them and the other is important but not a necessity.

Touchscreen (eGalax Touch - PS/2)
I've found the latest drivers on their website because they weren't in the Repos (http://home.eeti.com.tw/web20/eGalaxTou ... Driver.htm) and I've read through the documentation. However, I don't understand what I'm suppose to write where because it primarily deals with the USB interface but i know for a fact that the Archos 9 uses the PS/2 interface. I've Googled for tutorials but they are all outdated and the main problems are dealing with Xorg/Kernel versions. So, I am hoping someone who knows more about installing drivers from source and recompiling the Kernel or whatever I'm suppose to do, can give me a step by step guide. What I do know is that it will work because people got it to work with Ubuntu.

Mini Touchpad (Same PS/2)
I would like to get this to work for compatibility reasons and it does work on GRUB but it doesn't work after that (somewhere between the boot menu and when X starts it fails). I researched this a bit and someone got it going by using evtouch but doesn't explain it. Not only do I have evtouch already installed with it not working but apparently it stops working again if you install the touchscreen drivers. So, my solution to this is to somehow record the input data that the mini touchpad gives when you touch it and use a program to convert it into relevant keystrokes. This will allow me to use it with accessibility options in KDE. However, I don't know of any programs to do that in Linux, I only did that a long time ago in Windows. What I do know is that, although it doesn't appear to work, it does, but the input data isn't understandable by Linux either with the touchscreen drivers installed or not. Also there is the problem that the Touchscreen and Touchpad share the same PS/2 interface.

I should be able to get these things working with your help and I would greatly appreciate any info, anyone can provide.

Thanks for taking time to read this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MarkL

Re: Archos 9 Touchscreen Driver & Mini Touchpad

Post by MarkL »

I know that everyone does this on their free time but I was hoping at the very least, that someone could tell me if I have to recompile the kernel or not. It's sounds like it would be complicated and I don't want to hose my system.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to read this.

Return to “Software & Applications”