How To Reset mate To Default Settings ?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
takis123

How To Reset mate To Default Settings ?

Post by takis123 »

Is there a way to reset MATE taskbar at it's default configuration with the default icons-shortcuts etc ?

I only want to reset something. When I was trying to fix a sound problem with pulse audio, the Volume icon near the clock at the right-down edge had gone. I inserted a volume icon (right-Click on the panel and adding Sound control icon) but when I click to it in order to view the volume bar, it is not the same as the default. Is there a way to fix it like it was in the default configuration ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caribriz

Re: How To Reset mate To Default Settings ?

Post by caribriz »

Do you mean that you now have this -
Mate volume control - from Add to panel.png
and you want this instead?
Volume control within Notification area applet.png
The default volume icon in the second image is part of the "Notification area" applet. Try removing and replacing it.

Right-click just to the left of your current Notification area (in the image there is a dotted handle you can right-click on), and click "Remove from panel".
Then right-click the panel again, click "Add to panel", and click "Notification area".
Hopefully, it gives you back the default volume control.

caribriz
takis123

Post by takis123 »

Firstly thank you for your help :) That is exactly what I want to do, as you described with the screenshots. I removed "notification area" and then I added it again, but the notification area doesn't have the volume icon.
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Go to Menu > Preferences > Startup Applications
In the Startup Programs list, scroll down and see if Volume Control box has a check mark against it.
If not, check it, click close .... then logout/login.
See if volume control icon appears then (in the Notification area applet).

caribriz
takis123

Post by takis123 »

I found two volume control entries at startup applications, they were both enabled.
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

In Startup Applications > Startup Programs list
click on first entry of Volume Control, click Edit
You should see this:
Edit box.png
Click cancel, then click on the other instance of Volume Control and check if it is the same.

If they are ...
First (if you haven't already), remove the Volume Control you added in the panel (R-click, remove from panel).

Then, go back to Startup Appplications.
Click one Volume Control entry from the list, and click Remove, close ... reboot.

If it doesn't appear in the Notification area applet, remove the remaining Volume Control entry in the list in the same way, reboot.
Then go back to Startup Applications > Startup Program list ... click Add, and recreate the entry by copying the exact information as shown in the Edit box picture above.
The command line in full is mate-volume-control-applet
Click Save, close, reboot.

caribriz
takis123

Post by takis123 »

Thank you for your help, the icon appeared.

Return to “MATE”