XFCE Panel intelligent autohide

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gobo

XFCE Panel intelligent autohide

Post by gobo »

Hi!
This is my first time using XFCE, and I am trying to customize my desktop. I would like to insert a lateral panel that works like a dock, I mean, something like Unity or Cairo dock with only launchers. I was thinking install something like Docky or Cairo, but it will install a lot of gnome stuff. What I want is that when desktop its empty this dock appears, and when not it works like autohide option. Is there a way to do it with XFCE panel? Is there a lightweight dock that works with XFCE?

Sorry my english, hope its all clear, if not feel free to ask please
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: XFCE Panel intelligent autohide

Post by altair4 »

I'm not sure if this is what you want or if it's the opposite of what you want but:

Right Click the Panel and select: Panel > Panel Preferences > Display > Automatically show and hide the panel.

From then on you have to hover over the panel area to expose it.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
gobo

Post by gobo »

Not exactly, I would like something "more intelligent", that no need to hover over it if the screen is empty, like Ubuntu Unity. I don't want a list of applications like in Ubuntu, for that reason I ask for something like a plugin for xfce panel, or maybe a light dock. I'm lookin tint2, but seems so complicated for me
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Also Looking/Wanting that feature! :idea:

For whats it's worth...
I remember someone writing a script (back in Xfce 4.6 or 4.4 era) that would check the windows displayed (widow buttons display I believe) and if blank/nul changed the 'show panel' setting to on. Auto started and with a timer (checked every second or 2) so behaved liked deamon.
Only bad thing was windows not covering whole sreen (like calculator) also deactivated panel!

More work but I simulate the effect by making launchers on desktop and also make a auto-hide panel that copies those launchers and placement. :wink:

J.Jay
black veils

Post by black veils »

maybe for a similar effect of what you want, you could try this:

set your normal panel to auto hide for now, to get it out of the way, and forget about it.

right-click desktop >> desktop settings >> icons tab >> icon type "minimised application icons".

this will set your desktop to your running apps, instead of using a traditional taskbar. they will be icons with writing underneath. as a result of this change, the desktop wont manage file/folder/launcher icons, it will purely show you running tasks.

to go back to previous setting:

settings manager >> icons tab >> icon type "file/launcher icons"

Return to “Xfce”