User Name/Password (Live CD, LM 4.0) ??

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jokersloose

User Name/Password (Live CD, LM 4.0) ??

Post by jokersloose »

Hello All,

I am kind of new to linux. I run kubuntu 7.10 on my desktop and I have heard a lot of good things about mint so I would like to load it on my laptop. Toshiba A105, 512 RAM, 80 GIG hard drive. But when I load the live CD it asks for a user name and password. I didn't see anything on the log in screen telling me what it would be. So I was hoping someone could help me with this. I tried "guest" as both but it told me it was wrong.

So what is the user name and password for the live CD?

Thanks for any help,
James
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: User Name/Password (Live CD, LM 4.0) ??

Post by proxima_centauri »

Maybe you have a bad cd, as far as I know there are no login's necessary for the ubuntu/kubuntu live cd's.
jokersloose

Post by jokersloose »

Thanks,

I'll re-download and see what a different burn will do.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

Thanks for the fast reply.

James
proxima_centauri

I misunderstood, I thought you were trying to install Kubuntu, nonetheless i know for a fact there is definitely no login necessary for Mint 4.0 either. Keep us posted if you have any more problems.
Cheers.
jokersloose

Post by jokersloose »

Well re-downloaded it and got it to run. However, there is no sound and/or wireless in the LiveCD.

So my next question is. Are sound and wireless issues common on laptops? While I don't mind doing a bit of work in order to get the distro up and running, I had a bad experience with a different distro and 2 weeks of waisted time trying to get sound up and running. I almost dumped linux totally due to it. From the LiveCD I will admit the things I have heard about mint are very much true. I really liked the interface and the "feel" of the desktop from the LiveCD. But there again I don't want to spend all my time with a new distro trying to get one part working.

Thanks,
James
proxima_centauri

The sound is an issue nearly everyone has with an A105 lappy after a quick google search.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=635215&page=3
"I just fixed this for someone yesterday. The answer I got from google was to open /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base and at the end of the file in the options area add this line:

options snd-HDA-Intel auto

and then reboot. At least I think that's what it was.
Good luck."
perhaps that may work.

Can you post what kind of wireless card you have?
CHeers.
jokersloose

Post by jokersloose »

Cool. I'll load it and try the edit you posted. As for my wireless card. It's an Atheros, I believe the chipset is AR5006EG. But could be wrong about that part.

Thanks,
James
proxima_centauri

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=649019
that *might* work for your wireless.
Search in google with combination keywords AR5006EG Ubuntu wireless, etc there seems to be alot of discussion about it.
Cheers and good luck.

Return to “Installation & Boot”