Permanently Change Cinnamon Mouse Cursor Themes

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon

Permanently Change Cinnamon Mouse Cursor Themes

Postby wswack on Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:28 am

Is there a way to permanently change the mouse cursor theme? I have researched this for hours and haven't found an answer. I removed DMZ-white and DMZ-black folders from usr/share/themes and that got the new theme working until the next time I log in. Each time I log in I have to open Cinnamon Settings, change the theme and change it back, then open an Internet browser. Even after resetting the theme in Cinnamon settings the theme doesn't change until I open the browser. Hmmmm!

Bill
wswack
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Permanently Change Cinnamon Mouse Cursor Themes

Postby Beardedragon on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:56 am

wswack wrote:Is there a way to permanently change the mouse cursor theme? I have researched this for hours and haven't found an answer. I removed DMZ-white and DMZ-black folders from usr/share/themes and that got the new theme working until the next time I log in. Each time I log in I have to open Cinnamon Settings, change the theme and change it back, then open an Internet browser. Even after resetting the theme in Cinnamon settings the theme doesn't change until I open the browser. Hmmmm!

Bill

Code: Select all
gedit /usr/share/icons/default

Then edit index.theme. Change "Inherits=DMZ-White" to name of folder you want used. Use complete address like: [Inherits=/usr/share/themes/name of file] if you leave the icon theme in that folder. then Save. Log out and in to get results.
Last edited by Beardedragon on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Collard, Madison, WI
HP s5710f, 2x AMD Athlon II 260@3.2Ghz, 3GB RAM, 640GB HD
Debian 7.1 Wheezy 3,2,0-4 Xfce 4.10 AMD-64
LMDE 3.10.5-1 Xfce 4.10 AMD-64
SalineOS 2.0 3.2.0-4 Xfce 4.8 AMD64
Beardedragon
Level 4
Level 4

Postby GeneC on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:34 am

An alternate solution is:
(run this command from terminal. Select theme you want.)
sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme

Since you removed the default white and black. They, of course will no longer be available. :(
If you want to re-install them, the package is dmz-cursor-theme
GeneC

AMD Phenom2x4 3.2 ghz, 12GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 460

Qiana (Cinnamon)
Sparky XFCE (Debian Testing)
Sparky Gnome 3.14 (SID)
EvolveOS (Budgie)
GeneC
Level 7
Level 7

Postby wswack on Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:45 pm

Thank you Beardedragon and GeneC for your efforts to help.

I tried both of your tips. The only result of our efforts was to change the little white cursor to a black one. I can't get the white one back now. That's okay because the black one is easier to see. I can still get cursor of choice by changing, changing back, then starting a browser. Interestingly, if I don't toggle the cursor setting the cursor of choice shows up, but only momentarily, while I pass over a link in the browser or drag a file.

I wonder if I can find a way to put a direct link to Themes/Other Setting next to the browser link to save a few mouse clicks.
wswack
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Verix on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:54 pm

Beardedragon wrote:
gedit /usr/share/icons/default

Then edit index.theme. Change "Inherits=DMZ-White" to name of folder you want used. Use complete address like: [Inherits=/usr/share/themes/name of file] if you leave the icon theme in that folder. then Save. Log out and in to get results.

This worked for me. I didn't have a folder named default, so I created it and the index.theme file. I also didn't have to specify the full path of cursor theme.
Verix
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Cinnamon