Incomplete desktop after resume from sleep Inspiron Mini1010

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ovitemp

Incomplete desktop after resume from sleep Inspiron Mini1010

Post by ovitemp »

Hi, I upgraded from version 11 to 13 Xfce on Dell Inspiron Mini 1010. Basically I did a fresh install followed by a home directory restore.
Everything looks fine except 2 problems:
1. resuming from standby (closing and opening the lid) the screen is grey at the bottom side about a quarter of the screen height.
If I do a blind click in the area where it suppose to be the Menu button, it opens the menu, I can even find the Log Out button.
Restarting the system is restoring the normal screen.
2. I enable the wifi proprietary drivers and everything is fine until the system goes standby or restart.
After every restart the system shows that the driver is loaded but not activated. I must open again the Additional drivers menu, to remove the wifi driver an reactivate it.
I hope someone will help me find a solution because is very annoying to shutdown every time the notebook and reinstall every time the driver.
I love Linux Mint and I wish to keep it... Thank you people for the hard work!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jjaythomas

Re: Incomplete desktop after resume from sleep Inspiron Mini

Post by jjaythomas »

Usally safer (less headaches) to fresh install with a new home directory and gradully move things (configs) over from a backup.

P.S. usually a a fresh install will reset some configs (like power manager setting) and get confused if other ones already in /home dir. (exspecially if skiped a version or 2) Mint had to thou and the base Xfce version were changed (and the setting might not play nice durung upgrade)

J.Jay
ovitemp

Post by ovitemp »

Thanks for reply J. Jay,
you mean the problems might came after restoring the main user's home folder (/home/username)? Looks strange to me. The behavior after standby must be a vga driver problem.
Anyway I'll try a new fresh installation without any restore. I'll come with a new post in about 12 hours...
ovitemp

Post by ovitemp »

I did a new fresh install and immediate after first restart I did Menu > Logout > Suspend. After repower the screen have the same problem: the 1/3 lower part of the screen is grey but you can blindly click the menu in the left down corner.
Plus the WiFi cannot enable.
Following this post http://askubuntu.com/questions/125529/w ... om-bcm4312 I fixed the WiFi (without F2 switch WiFi on-off)
kaptoxic

Post by kaptoxic »

I have a very similar issue on Linux Mint 12 32bit on Acer Aspire 3100.

After automatic standby (set for 10 minutes) I log in and screen goes crazy, it blinks strangely. After restarting it all goes back to normal...

Did you find a way to solve this?

Return to “Xfce”