What happened to lp / lpr ... not working anymore!

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Hansl
Level 3
Level 3

What happened to lp / lpr ... not working anymore!

Post by Hansl »

Hi, some weeks ago I replaced my desktop machine and installed a fresh LMDE 201204 with MATE. (Had the older LMDE with Gnome before on my previous machine).

Now when I wanted to use lp from the shell (need it for some older technical purposes, worked in my previous setup; CUPS and its printers are running fine in MATE), I got the error "WARNING: couldn't connect to: /tmp/keyring-xxxx/pkcs11: No such file or directory". There really was no /tmp/keyring* whatsoever. (BTW, why does lp need this at all?)

After some googling I found https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=783568 mentioning in
/etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.desktop the line
OnlyShowIn=GNOME;Unity;

I appended MATE; to that line which seemed to work insofar that now this directory appears and matches to the line from printenv.

But now lp, lpr, lpstat, lpadmin just terminate with no action or result other than printing one or two empty lines in the shell. What is wrong there?

Thanks, Hans
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hansl
Level 3
Level 3

Re: What happened to lp / lpr ... not working anymore!

Post by Hansl »

SOLVED! The empty lines are a another bug with translations in CUPS (have 1.5.2-5), is fixed for CUPS 1.5.2-7. http://www.cups.org/str.php?L4033
Workaround: set LANG=C before using lp etc. if you need to see its output (printing works without that).

But the line
OnlyShowIn=GNOME;Unity;
in /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.desktop should obviously be modified to

Code: Select all

OnlyShowIn=GNOME;Unity;MATE;
to make lp etc. work.

Hans

Return to “LMDE Archive”