Lost Password

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimmyjoejetter

Lost Password

Post by jimmyjoejetter »

Hi
I loaded Mint on a friends computer. His first. I am certain that I used the password that I know he knows and will remember as would I.
I used set up as always a standard user and two Admin accounts. For this type of situation I do this to keep it all easy at first. I also set the set the system to
auto log in as a standard user.
Anyway I tried to install some software he needs. The passwords for Admin or any of the admin users do not work
Not even sure if the password for the standard user is something I know as it is set to auto load.

So
I can not load anything. The password does not work.
I was tiered when I installed for him. maybe I did not use the password I thought I did
Regardless I have no idea what the password is OR the correct password does not work.
I want to change it but as a standard user I do not think it can be done.
What do you think. Is there anyway to change the Admin Password or add a new admin user so I can make changes etc..
I realy do not have the time for a reload and reconfiguration. Anyone have any idea what I can do?
Thank you.
Jim
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Lost Password

Post by xenopeek »

You can easily reset passwords, though you must be careful. If a user has an encrypted home directory, you must not change the password this way! This will make all encrypted files inaccessible. You can only use this method on user that doesn't have an encrypted home directory.

Steps:

1. Get the GRUB menu to show. It is shown by default if you have multiple OS installed, else please hold shift key down during booting to get the GRUB menu to show.

2. In the GRUB menu, highlight the OS you want to boot (if only one is installed, it is already highlighted). Then press the "e" key to edit the boot parameters.

3. Using the arrow keys on your keyboard, move your cursor to the end of the line similar to:

Code: Select all

linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-23-generic root=UUID=b8080487-b557-4f55-b288-d7ef2c2b9cc1 ro   quiet splash $vt_handoff
and replace "$vt_handoff" with "rw init=/bin/bash" (or just add that on to the end if you don't have the "$vt_handoff"). So that it reads:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-23-generic root=UUID=b8080487-b557-4f55-b288-d7ef2c2b9cc1 ro   quiet splash rw init=/bin/bash
then press F10 to continue the boot.

4. After a little while, and some error messages you can ignore, you are now logged in on the root console without having had to enter a password. Run the following command for each user (without an encrypted home directory!) that you want to give a new password. Replace "username" with the name of the user.

passwd username
5. Then sync the file system so all changes are written to disk, and reboot:

sync
reboot -f
And, to be clear, once you have rebooted you need to login as an admin user to make changes to the system (somebody member of the sudo group). And you confirm where need with the admin's own personal password. A standard user (not a member of the sudo group) is not allowed to make changes to the system.
elbmek

Post by elbmek »

I get as far as F10 then get kernel panic - not syncing: unable etc etc. I lost my password so cannot do undates to software. After typing intial code line alteration I get a \ appearing after bash
Legless

Post by Legless »

Brilliant! Worked like a charm! Thank you! :D
user4

Post by user4 »

i have the same problem of tiping another password then the one that i expect i wrote and the same proble of elbmek.
i have linux mint installed under vista and in the boot screen the "e" doesn't work to set the boot options. i have to start linux and then when i have to chose between the normal version or the repair version i can use the "e" to edit. in this screen there isn't any line:
linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-23-generic root=UUID=b8080487-b557-4f55-b288-d7ef2c2b9cc1 ro quiet splash $vt_handoff
but there is a similar one. changing with init=/bin/bash the part after "spalsh" and booting with F10 it locked on a black screen and i have to shut down it manually. any one knows how i can solve this problem?
mfs4360

Post by mfs4360 »

I followed your directions but could not get past step 4. After I entered the command "mount -o remount,rw /" nothing happened. Not sure why or if i did something wrong. Help! I am presently using Mint 13 in a dual boot with Windows 7 and it has been working great.

Thanx,
Matt
BoscoBearbank
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BoscoBearbank »

If a user has an encrypted home directory, you must not change the password this way! This will make all encrypted files inaccessible. You can only use this method on user that doesn't have an encrypted home directory.

If the users doesn't have an encrypted home directory, there's also this option (commands to be typed are in bold):
1. Boot from a live CD, DVD, or USB key
2. Open a terminal window
3. Become root su -
4. Identify your Linux Mint root partition (blkid -c /dev/null will list your partitions)
5. Mount your Linux Mint root partition (assuming it's /dev/sda5 in this example: mount /dev/sda5 /media)
5.1 chroot to /media (chroot /media)
6. You should now be able to change any user's password. Do it
7. Undo the chroot: exit
8. Unmount the Linux Mint partition umount /dev/sda5
9. Go back to being the default user: exit/b]
10. Reboot (from your hard drive)
Last edited by xenopeek on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added warning about encrypted home directories.
Mohito

Post by Mohito »

3. Move your cursor to the end of the line similar to:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-23-generic root=UUID=b8080487-b557-4f55-b288-d7ef2c2b9cc1 ro   quiet splash $vt_handoff
and replace $vt_handoff with init=/bin/bash. So that it reads:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-23-generic root=UUID=b8080487-b557-4f55-b288-d7ef2c2b9cc1 ro   quiet splash init=/bin/bash
then press F10 to continue the boot.
after I do this I get a black screen for hours, nothing happens. i have mint 14 64 bit please help
super_virgin

Post by super_virgin »

Thanks a lot for the post!
Works wonderfully for linux mint!
:)

Return to “Beginner Questions”