I have tearing on video playback when i dont use compiz !

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xrhstaras

I'm completely desperating with the tearing phenomenon...

Post by xrhstaras »

I have an nvidia gts-250 graphics card that can play in full resolution 1920-1080 all the new games on full quality on windows
and i have TEARING on video playback !!! .....when i dont use compiz !
When i use compiz i dont have tearing BUT it sucks so much that i have the 1/3 of the fps and bad performance on games !!
i dont care much about gaming i'm just dissapointed that compiz eats so many resources for no reason at all ! Its programmed badly ! i hate loosing resources for no reason !
I tried every window manager ! i tried the newest nvidia driver that linuxmint/ubuntu suggests , i tried the newest driver from the xswat repository i tried everything and still i have tearing !! (dont ask me if i enabled vsync on nvidia control panel yes i did)
MAybe its my monitor ? i dont know !!!
The only thing i know is that i'm gonna make a format to windows 7 , i got the open source philosophy, i like linux im an enthousiast but this is too much for me !
Send me a message now if you know any solutions.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xrhstaras

Post by xrhstaras »

My graphics card is Nvidia Geforce Gts250 i have a quadcore 3,4ghz amd phenom II and 8gbytes of memory.
When i use compiz i have awfull gaming experience ! the 40% of the fps and bad performance ! i hate compiz cause it takes too many resources for no reason, i dont know what sucks more xorg or compiz ? but both sucks.
When i dont use compin and in every window manager/linux distro i have Tearing very bad tearing annoying !
I tried to update the nvidia driver , i tried the xswat repo etc for the latest drivers nothing , i tried the drivers that linuxmint (jockey) suggests nothing , always i have tearing.
I suspect that something has to do with my monitor, my monitor is a Samsung Syncmaster.
Im ready to go back to windows cause i can't accept this.
zerozero

Re: I have tearing on video playback when i dont use compiz

Post by zerozero »

[posts merged in the same topic, same subject]
xrhstaras

Post by xrhstaras »

And now the craziest part of the story !!!
I tried Lubuntu with nvidia drivers from the Xswat repository ! and now i don't have tearing !! (without compiz at all)
But the problem is that lubuntu is very basic desktop and maybe its nice for my netbook but its not nice on my desktop pc !

I guess how i don't have tearing on lubuntu ???

When i use compiz or when i'm on ubuntu unity 3d i don't have tearing but i have less fps on 3d games and bad performance on games , and i dont want to loose resources for something so stupid.

I guess compiz or xorg or both are programmed awfully .

Is it possible my lcd monitor (samsung syncmaster) to be incompatible with linux ?

I don't know ! I know that i hate windows but i can't accept tearing its too much for me.
xrhstaras

Post by xrhstaras »

I will try cinammon today , if nothing works i will go back to ubuntu (unity 3d) with compiz and i will switch to 2d when i wanna play 3d games.
xrhstaras

Post by xrhstaras »

I'm having tearing in everything that dont use compiz !
When i use compiz i have awfull performance in 3d games and low fps.

CtrlAltDel wrote:
xrhstaras wrote:I will try cinammon today , if nothing works i will go back to ubuntu (unity 3d) with compiz and i will switch to 2d when i wanna play 3d games.
Let us know if Cinnamon works for you. And you never mentioned specificacally, is Linux Mint 13 MATE what you were having the tearing issues with?
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

This is another frustration I've just come across too...

I'm running Linux Mint 13 Xfce and experience video tearing (with MPlayer2, Totem and VLC).

I found workaround, which will fix it, and that was to turn off compositing under the Window Manager Tweaks.

Is there somewhere we can post a bug-report to get these things looked at?

Cheers,

Mike.
xrhstaras

Post by xrhstaras »

I dont have tearing anymore ! Yes !
I love cinammon !!
I dont know what is the problem with the other window manager but cinammon is great !
plus i have more that 220fps on sauerbratten full detail 1920x1080 res +vsync
CtrlAltDel wrote:
xrhstaras wrote:I'm having tearing in everything that dont use compiz !
When i use compiz i have awfull performance in 3d games and low fps.
I understand, xrhstaras, and I really do wish I could be of more help to you. Unfortunately, I am basically just a newbie at Linux myself. I can relate to your frustrations, though, as I have had horrible tearing issues also.

Everyone here has been very helpful, especially Vincent V., but I just couldn't work it out. Even when I scrolled web pages, the web pages were tearing and jumpy looking. I too had to switch to Compiz to get any kind of satisfaction but, Compiz wasn't a viable long term solution.

Anyway, I wish you all the luck in the world and if you do get around to trying Cinnamon, let us know if it worked for you. It's the only thing that worked for me.
xrhstaras

Post by xrhstaras »

I have no tearing now ! plus i have high fps on 3d games !
Plus youtube videos are not blue (fixed by linuxmint??)
Linux mint (cinammon) has very good performance ! Its how ubuntu should be !!
At last i've got a linux installation that pleases me.
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

After a bit of digging around, it looks like the video tearing (with Xfce compositing turned on)
is a known issue.

Whether or not it gets fixed in the future is anyone's guess!

It's not a huge deal for me to leave compositing off, as the only think I used it for was to place dropshadows under windows and menus (it's the only eye-candy I like!)

Cheers,

Mike.

Return to “Sound”