global menu on xfce mint

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
luis.nando

global menu on xfce mint

Post by luis.nando »

hello all, i think the xfce version of mint is a great candidate for those who dont like where gnome is heading to. In order to get a pleasant desktop i would like to enable a global menu on xfce. So far i got no success. Anyone has any idea of how to get global menu working?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
drdavidk

Re: global menu on xfce mint

Post by drdavidk »

Alas, global menu does not play well with xfce. I've tried: I installed it, then placed it on the XFCE panel with XFapplet, but I keep getting prompted to remove it.

My work-around has been the following:

Install Window Applets (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=103732) and use the window buttons in an Xfapplet.
Install Compiz so that Window Buttons hides the window decorations (You will need to set the Decoration Windows to "!state=maxvert" (without the quotes) in CCSM under Window Decorations.)
Get my XFCE Panel to overlap the top bar (which now holds the menus of whatever you have maximized). See http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/get-mini ... xfce4.html.

See the screenshot:
nowindowdecoration.png
luis.nando

Re: global menu on xfce mint [SOLVED]

Post by luis.nando »

Thank you!
dcihon

Post by dcihon »

Install Window Applets (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=103732) and use the window buttons in an Xfapplet.
For Debian 64bit the link is not there.
drdavidk

Post by drdavidk »

I believe I used the link for the Ubuntu 64 bit. It's compiled for Maverick, and didn't break anything in LMDE.
luis.nando

Post by luis.nando »

Did anyone got lucky getting global-menu on mint xfce? Long time since the last post, any success?
drdavidk

Post by drdavidk »

Despite my earlier post here, I've long since given up on the global menu on XFCE. Version 4.10 under LMDE doesn't really support the Xfapplet anymore, except for adding the Mint Menu to the panel, so all my earlier advice doesn't really apply anymore. It seems through their silence that no one else uses the global menu either.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Not same... but

I simulated the effect ( no screen shots did months ago playing around)

1. made a panel about 40% (with notification, volume pager ect. only)
2. click 'don't 'reserve space on border'
3.make panel about 50% wider
4. posion at edge at center of screen.
5. lock it their!

Can see window's/app's menu then panel then window icons (min, max, quit). Use apperances and window themes to better blend effect together. :wink:

J.Jay
P.S. can also have windows display with out decorations ect (but won't have min/max/quit icon either)

Return to “Xfce”