HDD installation problem with Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: HDD installation problem with Mint

Post by Husse »

Did you put the old drive on the same ribbon as the drive you use to boot Mint?
If so that's the reason
You should avoid having two hard disks on the same ribbon - some disks don't like each other
Make the disk master and put it on the ribbon with the CD/DVD player
Noter that the master should be at the end and the slave in the middle, but this is not absolutely necessary
If you've got two CD/DVD players move one
If you've got a hard disk and a CD/DVD player the only thing is to try and see if the old disk is tolerated there
If it's an old less than 8 GB disk this could possibly force the other larger disk on the same ribbon to be treated with the 8 GB limit even if I don't think so
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

In the end, then, this older slave drive is attached on its own.
Well that probably explains it - make it master - hard disks don't like being slave, particularly when they are alone, but it works many times, so....
Husse

Post by Husse »

You got it right
If yes, what will that do when the bios recognises 2 master drives installed?
Nothing what so ever :)
Master/slave is a per IDE channel setting
To be absolutely correct the boot order may change, but then it's just to set it right again
Husse

Post by Husse »

It's not completely abnormal to have to try a couple of times
What brand and model is the hard disk?
To be sure - you don't even see grub?
Husse

Post by Husse »

This was strange!
To have that happening so late in the boot process....
I don't know what could cause it, but I have a few suggestions
What happens if you boot from the live CD?
Is the drive empty? Any "traces" of Linux on it? I was thinking that for some reason Mint tries to read something it can't read properly from it.
Can you format it if you are not to keep the data on it?
Out in the blue......

Return to “Beginner Questions”