Launching from desktop: window has no focus

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bill Lariviere
Level 1
Level 1

Launching from desktop: window has no focus

Post by Bill Lariviere »

Been looking around for this one but found nothing. When launching an app from the desktop (contrary to the menu or the panel) the opened window is not focused. Any way to resolve this small but annoying problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jjaythomas

Re: Launching from desktop: window has no focus

Post by jjaythomas »

Try...

settings>window manager 'focus tab' click 'focus follows mouse'.

I think that does it without screwing up others.
J.Jay

Edit-note hovering the mouse over a window then will change focus (mouse on desktop won't unless skirts another window first)
Bill Lariviere
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bill Lariviere »

Not really what i had in mind but thanks for the reply anyway. What i'd like to have is the window having focus without even touching the mouse. For example: i wanna type in the calculator just after launching it from the desktop.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Not really what i had in mind but thanks for the reply anyway. What i'd like to have is the window having focus without even touching the mouse.
Sorry probally not but the window will have focus (even if mouse on other window) as long as you don't move mouse! from menu or panel

(from desktop launcher need to focus with 'alt & Tab' key combo still :oops:

J.Jay
Bill Lariviere
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bill Lariviere »

I've tried your method but still no focus when mouse is not over it.

Weird that nobody has mentioned this before. Looks like a bug to me (but i'm no techie :oops: ).
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

I think it's either your install or specific hardware... Haven't seen mention of either any-where. :roll:

I tried running a 'liveCD of Mint13 Xfce (no updates yet) on 3 different computers 1)old inspirion 1721 laptop, 2) ThinkPad x200, 3)ancient HP TC1100 tablet. (1st two(2) in 32 and 64 mode)

able to put launcher (a terminal) in lower left corner. With a FF session runing in right 1/2 of screen, double click launcher to activate. I can start typing imeidialy in terminal no matter where the mouse is. Can also 'shortcut key' alt-tab to change focus between terminal and browser! (no mouse movement at-all) :|

J.Jay
P.S. are you on 'LMinnt13-Xfce or LMDE-Xfce and also 32 or 64 bit version?
Bill Lariviere
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bill Lariviere »

[SOLVED] Unchecked "Startup Notification" in the properties and now window has focus.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Unchecked "Startup Notification" in the properties and now window has focus.
Glad that worked for you,
But I think thats not the root cause. Mine works as stated with "startup Notification' checked. Un checking 'might cause other problems in future.

J.Jay

Return to “Xfce”