Adobe Ending Flash Support for Linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mister_lister

Adobe Ending Flash Support for Linux

Post by mister_lister »

According to this article
http://linux.slashdot.org/story/12/03/3 ... ash-player

and the download page of Flash at Adobe, they are discontinuing support for linux. What this really means is that everyone on linux will be forced onto chrome and off of Firefox becase eventually it will not support Flash in a Linux environment. The reason why we are all being pushed to chrome is because with its pepper-flash it is still going to get the big changes with regular flash only getting bug fixes.

I don't think this is good news because I really like Firefox and I think chrome is a dumbed down browser.

This is just anohter example of what proprietary software does to people, it takes away their freedom and forces them to have less choice.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: Adobe Ending Flash Support for Linux

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

Agreed, but this is old news. Besides, it's not so bad! this will only provide more motivation for open-source developers to create an open version of Flash!
I DOUBT Firefox will go out of business any time soon--they are a successful and adaptive community/organization and know how to deal with such things.

This project is still in its infancy, but it is promising: http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/
mister_lister

Post by mister_lister »

Thats my hope too. I wish my programming skills were up to speed I would in on the projects.

But in actuallity I prefer being able to down load video files on to my computer as files I can work with, the addons that I have found for doing always have some sort of issue (no sound, strange formats, etc).

Does anyone know of a video file sharing site that shares files and does not use proprietary software, drivers or codecs?
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

Gnash and Lighspark will make progress .. 8)

A video about Gnash .. :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I00y73dpa3Q&feature=plcp
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

you can see : http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=BUIGP

NOTE from adobe website : Adobe Flash Player 11.2 will be the last version to target Linux as a supported platform. Adobe will continue to provide security backports to Flash Player 11.2 for Linux.

adobe update flash 11.2 for linux in mid agustus (from 11.2.202.236 to 11.2.202.238). if you want use the latest flash for linux, uninstall mint-flashplugin and install adobe-flashplugin package with package manager.
nomko

Post by nomko »

mank_in wrote:NOTE from adobe website : Adobe Flash Player 11.2 will be the last version to target Linux as a supported platform. Adobe will continue to provide security backports to Flash Player 11.2 for Linux.
Nice gesture of Adobe, but for how long will Linux users get those updates??? 1 Year??? 2 Year??? My best guess is that they will stop providing those updates within a short period of time.
eric k

Post by eric k »

nomko wrote:Nice gesture of Adobe, but for how long will Linux users get those updates??? 1 Year??? 2 Year??? My best guess is that they will stop providing those updates within a short period of time.
Security/bug fixes will be offered for five years.

"For Flash Player releases after 11.2, the Flash Player browser plugin for Linux will only be available via the “Pepper” API as part of the Google Chrome browser distribution and will no longer be available as a direct download from Adobe. Adobe will continue to provide security updates to non-Pepper distributions of Flash Player 11.2 on Linux for five years from its release."

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2012 ... linux.html
nomko

Post by nomko »

eric k wrote:..........the Flash Player browser plugin for Linux will only be available via the “Pepper” API as part of the Google Chrome browser distribution and will no longer be available as a direct download from Adobe..........
Meaning i have to ditch FF??? Nice marketing trick (if it is a marketing trick) :!:

I don't like Google Chrome since it gives me a feeling on not being able to set it up the way i want. Not much settings and configuration possibilities. I know FF and the way i can control it. Never gonna ditch FF in favor of Chrome.
SurfaceUnits

Post by SurfaceUnits »

Adobe Flash Meets Its End
It's been clear for a few years now that unless mobile Flash's performance and reliability improved, it was a goner; that day has now come, and soon, desktop Flash will soon follow.
November 9, 2011 11:13am EST

In the eternal battle for Web supremacy, one of the major warriors just laid down its weapons. Adobe confirmed this morning that it will cease all development of mobile versions of Flash. That means that Android, BlackBerry OS, and other devices that had touted Flash capability as one of their key selling points will soon no longer matter.

Web developers are already moving away from Flash to HTML5. YouTube has an HTML5 mode (albeit in beta). HTML5 doesn't do as much as Flash on the programming side, but it's getting there. Besides, developers want their sites to work on the iPhone and iPad—which brings us to Apple.

With Flash gone on the mobile side, it's likely that we'll begin to see it disappear on the desktop as well. It's the same conundrum developers always face: how many platforms do you want to run your product on, with all the extra time, money, QA, employee skills, training, and technical support that comes with it? If you can get what you need done with HTML5, which current browsers support out of the box, do you want to be dependent on external plug-in installs that you have no control over?

Flash served its purpose for a long time. It brought us a more powerful Web, and helped shift it from its hypertext-based roots to something far more interactive and useful, beginning as early as the late 1990s. And now, Flash's time has officially passed—on mobile devices and otherwise.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2396094,00.asp

At least Macromedia got its cash up front: Adobe shells out $3.4 billion for the multimedia company as corporate consolidation continues apace in Silicon Valley.
Orographic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Orographic »

Does the Pepper support for Flash in Chrome also apply to Chromium, that comes through the Mint repos? I undersant that is being released later this year.
anthony2010

Post by anthony2010 »

If this is an attempt to funnel users into chrome (google product) then there has to be something in the pipeline for android users (google product). With an estimated 70% of mobile phones and tablets running on android, google will surely be keen to circumvent any possible loss of business.

I wouldn't worry.

If the power of market forces is to be trusted in this, 'Flash' will be stomped into the ground and replaced by something that will render it a total irrelevance.

Theres too much at stake and Adobe are making a huge mistake in p******g off the greater number of its users. The marketplace is pretty unforgiving and any tech outfit is only as good as the success of its latest product. Not having flash hasn't stopped apple users. Looks like its time for the unix world to get together on this.

I would like to know what (if any) influence microsoft have had in this decision.

Anthony
Mozenrath

Post by Mozenrath »

Hopefully, as long as sites only develop flash content for current versions of flash, there won't be any problems. It's when sites like uStream update and use features of the absolute latest flash player that there are issues. If streaming video like that can be accomplished in another way, then flash can die peacefully.
donmatas

Post by donmatas »

mank_in wrote:you can see : http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=BUIGP

NOTE from adobe website : Adobe Flash Player 11.2 will be the last version to target Linux as a supported platform. Adobe will continue to provide security backports to Flash Player 11.2 for Linux.

adobe update flash 11.2 for linux in mid agustus (from 11.2.202.236 to 11.2.202.238). if you want use the latest flash for linux, uninstall mint-flashplugin and install adobe-flashplugin package with package manager.
Brilliant! Thanks dude!

Best,
DM
mustard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mustard »

Well this is a disturbing moment for me. I'm still fairly reliant on Flash in my web browser, but will end up being left behind by Adobe. I curse the day that Flash was created. This is just another reminder of why proprietary codecs, plugins etc are a curse upon us all.

Return to “Chat about Linux”