Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

Sigh!

I have loved linux mint 13 cinnamon for over a week. I have had network issues all along and i found something that finally worked, maybe. in a post i was given these commands to use to install wicd and remove network manager..

On Linux Mint 13 Xfce the following steps will replace NetworkManager by Wicd.
Code: Select all
# install wicd and dependencies
sudo apt-get install wicd

# lauch wicd tray icon, only needed now, not after reboot
(wicd-gtk --tray </dev/null &>/dev/null &)

# remove networkmanager and dependencies
sudo apt-get --purge autoremove dnsmasq-base geoclue-ubuntu-geoip gir1.2-networkmanager-1.0 libnm-glib-vpn1 libnm-glib4 libnm-gtk-common libnm-gtk0 libnm-util2 libproxy1-plugin-networkmanager mobile-broadband-provider-info network-manager network-manager-gnome network-manager-pptp network-manager-pptp-gnome

# kill networkmanager launched processes
sudo killall dhclient
sudo killall nm-applet
All done. Please open Menu > Internet > Wicd Network Manager, or the tray icon, and do a Disconnect followed by a Connect to re-enable your Internet connection.
after that everything was wonderful wicd was doing really well then i followed the reboot instruction and the problems began. I am now getting a freeze or a black screen after the login screen ... sometimes it does not happen immediately after the login but instead i got as far as running firefox immediately and it froze when looking at bookmarks. One time i got into a text mode or a terminal i'm not sure by pushing ctrl + alt + 1 or 2 not sure and it took me to a prompt which I had no idea what to do with it . So I'm stuck .
Is there a way to reconstruct it or fix it ? Without losing everything ?

Thanks,
Nate
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tbrownarcher2

Re: log in and then black screen .. wicd implicated????

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

I'm a bit desperate here .. I don't really want to reinstall ......... won't i lose everything on the drive???

thanks,
Nate
tbrownarcher2

Re: log in and then black screen .. wicd implicated????

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

I got into the console or txt mode with a prompt I typed in X and got this ..... I havce no idea what to do from here can someone help me ? I tried following this instruction about removing , well, here i will type it in here .

nate@nate3 ~$ X
Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
if this server isno longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
and start again.
Please consult the X.org Foundation support
aaat http://wiki.x.org
for help
ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log

I need some instruction on how to work in txt mode or terminal

thanks,
Nate