I'm minty fresh!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Memoryleak

I'm minty fresh!

Post by Memoryleak »

Well, I'm a new Linux Mint user; though, I think I'm safe in guessing you already knew that. I wonder if anyone has ever gone to a forum and been like "Hey I've been using [insert distro] for a long time and just noticed the community forum links that are there when I install it." Probably not.

I'm not so good at this introductory post stuff. I've been reading Linux Format regularly for about two years and spent some time working trying various Linux distros in virtual machines. I liked the look and feel of Linux Mint the best. I spent the summer working as an intern in a shop that was exclusively Linux. Afterwards, I decided I wanted to spend most of my time working in Linux. I hope I can meet some cool new friends here, learn, and contribute back to the community.

I think that probably covers it all.

--signature stuff
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jagwinn

Re: I'm minty fresh!

Post by jagwinn »

Hey, Fresh!
Which version of Mint are you using? What Linux did your earlier employer have? Did you have to give up any Windows programs? and if you did what did you find to replace them?
Just curious as I dual boot because of old Win- programs that I can't find a replacement for.

Anyhoo, Welcomin!
Memoryleak

Post by Memoryleak »

Hi Jag,

I'm running Mint 13 Mate. The summer was spent mainly with Scientific Linux. Though I suppose I did a fair amount of work ssh-ing into the server from my netbook (which ran Ubuntu Netbook Remix). Unfortunately, school requires some Windows stuff too, Visual Studio stuff and document revisions in Word. I'm not certain yet if LibreOffice can supports the revision markup from Word. I've also found some issue with viewing equations edited in Word formats. With the semester starting back up I suppose I'm giving up some of my games, though I've read Starcraft II runs pretty well in Wine.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Hi Memoryleak, welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D Thanks for joining the forums!

Be sure also to check out the Community website (tutorials, hardware and software reviews, ideas), and the Cinnamon Spices website for adding even more themes, applets and extensions to Cinnamon.

You can also chat in real-time with other Linux Mint users. In the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application XChat IRC. You will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-chat for general chat and #linuxmint-help for support with other Linux Mint users.

Have fun with Linux Mint.
jagwinn

Post by jagwinn »

I do know the document revisions in Word are possible, as a choice of document type is given when you save the document including .doc and .docx.

I like that the Windows Word 97 that I used was unable to open the latest Word .docx, but Mint can!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”