Advice on Mint Compatible Laptop?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
QuotidianMe2

Advice on Mint Compatible Laptop?

Post by QuotidianMe2 »

I've decided it's time to buy a new computer. It doesn't have to be BRAND NEW, it might be used, but something from the last couple of years. ( I've not actually shopped for a computer since buying a refurbished Dell Inspiron 2200 back in 2005. It, like the two other (even older) computers are all 100% LMint now.)

Oh, and no dual boot. Any Windows Vista or Seven (it may be a newer used computer) is just gonna come off the Hard drive and Linux Mint is going on.

But since I've been limping along with Pentium 3 technology, I'm wondering what, if any, hardware configurations, motherboards, etc. that may cause problems for Linux in general or Mint in particular. Processing power and video processing power will be my focus as I'm playing more and more with Openshot and LIVES. It was Ubuntu's failure to function with my Inspiron's graphics card that finally drove me screaming into the night. (And look, Linux Mint 10 runs like a champ on that same machine. HA!) Finally,

I plan, by the way, to run either LMDE xfce or straight LinuxMint xfce, (at least until Mate and Cinnamon mature sufficiently to let me have my multiple workspaces as out-of-the-box-options).

Appreciate any input on how to best utilize LMint on my upcoming laptop purchase.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Advice on Mint Compatible Laptop?

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
nomko

Post by nomko »

My advice: download a live version of each version you wanna try out or want to run on that new laptop and burn it on a cd or dvd. Go to a store and try it out on the laptop you want to buy. Ask the salesman if you can try it out. If the laptop doesn't have any conflicts or issues and everything works fine and all hardware is recognized, then you new you won't have any trouble. But thern again, most hardware is well supported nowadays so i expect no problems.

The best way to figure out if all hardware is supported is running a live-cd or dvd and do some tests.
QuotidianMe2

Post by QuotidianMe2 »

Nomko,

Thanks, yeah, I thought about doing that, too. Though, I've had problems that showed up only after install that didn't appear from the live disc. This has happened mostly with Ubuntu, though an OpenSuse edition had "hidden" problems too.

But it sounds like there's nothing you know of outright that i should be looking out for? That's good, thanks.

And Moderator, thanks for moving the post. (I thought "chat" would be, you know, chat. Live and learn.

Thanks.
buttugly

Post by buttugly »

I did exactly that. Bought an hp dv7-6c20us because Mint worked fine at fry's. Mint has been the best by far but the rtl8188ce wireless with my home netgear wndap 360 wireless acess point and an ATT Elevate has been a dismal failure. The realtek drivers compiled are the best so far but wireless is un-usable for on-line job applications, banking, connectivity reliable stuff, etc. In the next week or so I'm gonna try slackware and see what happens..........

Avoid realtek, rumor is Intel wireless isn't doing well, that leaves atheros, which everybody seems to LOVE. The linux contact at realtek is MIA......

Another PAINFUL lesson I've learned with my first laptop is something called white lists. It's something manufacturers are doing to make retail hardware not work.

I cannot buy a wireless card and put it into this laptop without paying an hp TAX of 30$+ or doing some bios hacking. BIOS hacking is being hampered by "manufacturers" by "signing" the bios which prevents "modification". Another lesson learned..... Asus provides the drive caddy and cable if you buy one of their dual drive jobs, hp charges 40$.

This has been a beautiful laptop from every direction I wanted, from charting on a tow boat to video, awesome screen. It is the first and LAST hp (insert other whitelist mfg's) I will ever own. Next time I will buy from thinkpenguin.com or other linux provider and make sure to know about restocking fees and time to return.

I did buy a ssd and another drive to stick in here for linux. The ssd was a great investment. I saved the windows drive intact, just in case, like bios updates.

Most mfg's don't make the hardware anyway so look for compal etc and save the $ for whats on the inside.

Good Luck!
Kevin

Return to “Chat about Linux”