Language switching

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
WaferThinMint

Language switching

Post by WaferThinMint »

Hi guys,
I'm a recent convert to Linux and I have what might be a stupid question:
Is it possible to switch the system language from, say, English to Czech (or any other language for that matter)? For example, if I was to install and setup a pc for someone in English and then quickly switch it to their native language (something like the keyboard switching button on the panel).

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Language switching

Post by richyrich »

Control Center -> Keyboard -> Layout tab . . add your preferred languages.

Right-click an open area of the panel -> add to panel - keyboard layout switcher . . :)
WaferThinMint

Post by WaferThinMint »

Hi rr, Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that's not what I meant. My fault, I didn't explain it very well. I was hoping that it would be possible for me to set-up the pc in English, hand it over to a non-english speaking person, and they would be able to press a "magic" key(s) that switches everything displayed to their language.
(I probably haven't made it any clearer :lol: )
jeop

Post by jeop »

Actually, I'm having some language problems on my system right now.

But to answer your question: I think the language settings in the Preferences section of the main menu might be help. You can install new languages for the system and make a list of preferred language for the system. I don't know of any shortcuts that could help you directly with what you're looking for. I would probably just make a new profile for the person and set his or her profile to the language he or she needs. You can make user profiles in the Users and Groups section of the main menu.

In fact, my system is exacly like that. My profile is in English and there is another user profile with Brazilian Portuguese.

(The keyboard layout shortcut is one that I have incredibly time-saving because I do a lot of typing both in English and Portuguese.)

I hope that helps.
widget

Post by widget »

Try this;

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
This should give you a place to edit what language is used.

Arrow keys for navigation, space bar for selection.

Return to “LMDE Archive”