Installing software

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Installing software

Post by 900i »

Open Synaptic Package Manager, and search for Kismet, then mark for installation. You will need an internet connection as all the packages are stored online in repositories
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Have you actually installed "Kismet"
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

It's already installed and must be a CLI app then. You will need to read the manual for it as I am not familiar with it.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

Ok so you found it in synaptic package manager and clicked on it and clicked on install then hit apply to download and install the packages? You need not download anything as Synaptic does it all for you. If you did all this and it still does not appear anywhere on your menu there are two things you can do. Go into the Terminal and type Kismet. Or all the programs installed under your username are stored in filesystem->User->Bin. So use nautilus to navigate to that folder then start typing Kismet and it should auto jump to that file. Double click it and bingo blango it should run.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

It does run in terminal, but it needs parameters passing to it that's why I told him to R.T.F.M. Type "man kismet" in a terminal.
Last edited by 900i on Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

Ah gotcha, yeah I've never used it. Decided to just give him the basic info on finding any program not added to menu auto-style.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

What WiFi card are you using? Some can have the driver installed via Windows Wireless Driver Installer and some can be found elsewhere as linux versions. Also have you tried running the restricted drivers app yet? It sometimes can detect what you need and install it with not much fuss.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

Go to Control Panel, scroll down to the System section and you will see Restricted Drivers Manager. Click that and it will tell you which driver it can help you with simply click to activate and may require restart, then all set.

Return to “Beginner Questions”