How to see video codec details like in Ubuntu?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Janiporo

How to see video codec details like in Ubuntu?

Post by Janiporo »

In ubuntu when I right click on video file and choose preferences (translated from Finnish, not sure it is that, anyway it is the bottom one) and choose the last tab on the right, it tells me codec info, audio info, framerate, etc. How do I enable it in Mint? Or is it even possible. :roll:
Or some kind of easy way to see codec details with mouse click.

Thank you :shock:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to see video codec details like in Ubuntu?

Post by Garvan »

I get the CODEC details when I right click and select Properties, so perhaps you can provide more details about your Mint version.

Tested on Cinnamon Mint 13.

Garvan
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
Janiporo

Post by Janiporo »

Oh, Mint 13 Mate, I think :roll:
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

Janiporo wrote:Oh, Mint 13 Mate, I think :roll:
We need somebody with Mate to check to see if it works, or if there is a special problem with your install.

Garvan
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
Janiporo

Post by Janiporo »

Yes, yes we do :shock:
bl934242

Post by bl934242 »

In response to Garvan, I'm using Mint 13 Mate and there are no codec (or any other) details when I go into the properties of any video files.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

If you have a media player running/installed you could check the codecs installed for that application, it will be the defaults or the ones used by that application (eg VLC, MPlayer etc!)

Probably if you check the package manager for codecs or multimedia you will find the list that is installed onto your system..
http://www.aboutlinux.info/2007/04/inst ... ss-in.html
http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_katya_whatsnew.php
--check the multimedia section..

http://www.linuxandlife.com/2012/05/lin ... eview.html
  • For multimedia, you have Banshee, VLC, Gnome Player and Movie player. If you chose to download the standard ISO file, all the necessary multimedia codecs are pre-installed by default.
--looks like codecs are all installed by default already

Return to “Sound”