Finally saying GOOD-BYE to Windows!!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lord High Warlock

Finally saying GOOD-BYE to Windows!!

Post by Lord High Warlock »

Greetings and Felicitations!

My name is Rich, and I'm an alco...um, Window...I mean, a former Windows User! :D

Recently, the hard drive in my Dell Inspiron 8600 crashed. Because of that, I (and my wife Mary) have taken the opportunity to "reevaluate" our Operating System options. The only Unix exposure I've had was IBM's AIX v4.3 (I think that's the version), about 10 years ago (also formerly of the IT world w/ 20 years experience). Assuming that Linux has become more than it was 10 years ago, I started looking at Linux OS's to try. We finally decided to go with Mint 13: KDE.

While I've only run into one snag (I still can't get the wireless network to work), we're both very happy with it. Upgrading to KDE v4.9 was painless, and so was forcing the latest version of Skype, once I was told how (thanks again to those that have taken the time to answer my n00b questions!).

Right now, I have Maya installed on an external USB drive. Next week, a replacement drive for the 8600 should arrive, and I plan on installing Maya on that as well...hopefully I'll have the wireless issue corrected by then. The plan is to then give the 8600 to our daughter, and to install the 64-bit Maya on a Dell Inspiron N411Z...which will probably happen in another couple of weeks out.

In the mean time, I'm sure I'm going to continue to post a few n00b questions (I can think of 3 off the top of my head, if I can't figure them out myself), and I thank everyone in advance for the help and advice that'll be give.

And thank you for taking the time to read my little blurb. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: Finally saying GOOD-BYE to Windows!!

Post by nomko »

Finally saying GOOD-BYE to Windows!! And welcome to MacOS!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You can get a lot of info here: http://community.linuxmint.com/
Tutorials: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial

Hope you will enjoy using Linux and have a fun here at this forum!
Lord High Warlock

Thanks for the links! Luckily, I didn't need them. Some more searching uncovered the solution for me: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 73&start=0

Thanks again!
nomko

Post by nomko »

Lord High Warlock wrote:Thanks for the links! Luckily, I didn't need them. Some more searching uncovered the solution for me: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 73&start=0

Thanks again!
You have shown the good spirit! First perform your own search for a solution before posting another topic about the same issue.... Hope u like Mint and keep working with it.
Lord High Warlock

I'm loving it! Right now, on this old 1GB machine, I'm running 4 desktops, and there's little to no lag...on a USB hard drive. Reminds me of my old BBS days when I ran a 4-node Wildcat! BBS on a 486SX with OS/2 Warp!! LOL

From now on, Windows is banned from this house, and Mint will be the preferred OS of choice! :D
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
Lord High Warlock

Thank ya, kindly! :)
xrhstaras

Post by xrhstaras »

Welcome to the club !
I suggest you the cinammon edition , if your pc has nvidia graphics card go for cinammon and nothing else !
You will find that most of the apps can be runned on linux , i can run Crysis 2 game (a very demanding game) and have too many fps in full resolution that i can say its like i run it on windows.
Also office 2007 word excel powerpoint runs perfectly on linux via wine except access.
But i suggest you to use opensource tools, there is an application for everything !
For example i was seeking for an application to create/edit epub/mobi e-books that can later publish to amazon or lulu and i found an application for that even if it needed compilation. (sigil)
Its performance is very good and your hard drive will not get fragmented like on windows.
You can run palimpsest (or disk utility) to check the s.m.a.r.t. of your drive and see if its healthy or not.

I wish you to have the best experience with linux like i did.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Welcome to LinuxMint and the LM Forums.
Glad to see that we, here at the Forums are helping and answering your questions.

I first found and installed Fedora as my first experience into Linux.
Deleted MS Windows completely in less than 10 days.

Hard to believe that was 6 years ago - today. :lol:

I then, tried Ubuntu (for all of 5 minutes) before finding and using LinuxMint-Xfce.
Used the Xfce Desktop Environment for a few years before trying Openbox.

Now, a die-hard Debian fan (LMDE) and a Debian-Maintainer of Fluxbox WM.
Lord High Warlock

Thank you both for the welcome!

The missus and I looked at both Cinnamon and Mate. After reading about the desktops, she thought she'd prefer Cinnamon, and Mate was suggested if one wasn't sure which one to get. So we played around with them for a few days, and decided to settle on KDE.

So far, we've both been very happy with that decision. For us, it's making the transition very easy. I'm currently writting a letter to a friend in LibreOffice Writer, and I don't miss MS Word at all. Now to go through that huge software repository and see if there's anything we "must have." LOL

Return to “Introduce Yourself”