Security Questions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Security Questions

Post by Zwopper »

The easy answer to both your questions are:
1. No
2. No

...I could be ellaborate, but I certain someone else will be! :-)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

Linux is very secure and the likely hood of anyone , even less a windows user, could see your HD is close to zilch. Even if they did unless the folders are designated as shared there is no way short of knowing your pass and hacking you they can get it.

Windows users cannot access you because Windows uses Samba which granted you can enable in Mint but for the most part they cannot see you. This is why most Linux users dont bother with Anti-Viral programs or firewalls, Linux is by default just that safe.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Ok I can't help myself...
And NO sharing technology is installed by default in Mint, neither Samba nor NFS.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Of course, it is not 100% secure, vulnerabilities will exist, but linux is generally pretty secure, no worries. XP/Windows is only as secure as the 3rd party firewall you install (and don't get me started on the built in Windows firewall and Defender...)
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Fred

Post by Fred »

MagnusB,

You mean that fine firewall that Windows supplies that is made with a double row of dry straw. :-)

Fred
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

I mean that piece of **** software that MS forces you to install and offers no option to uninstall it... I remember MS AntiSoyware Beta 2, was actually usable, final release was ****, as go for the firewall that comes bundled as of Service Pack 2 (or earlier). Hrmf, one of the reasons I prefer Linux, it actually allows me to uninstall packages I don't want to keep, even if it is default software!
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin

Return to “Beginner Questions”