How To Edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base? (Solved)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jokersloose

How To Edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base? (Solved)

Post by jokersloose »

I need to add
options snd-HDA-Intel auto
to the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base. So need to know what file editor mint uses and how do I gain su access in order to add this to the end of the file?

Thanks,
James
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jokersloose

Re: How To Edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base?

Post by jokersloose »

OK sorry that lost me. :(
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base in terminal
cheers
jokersloose

Post by jokersloose »

gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base in terminal
I did that and then added the line you posted in the other thread but still no sound, well not NO sound it's just so low it might as well be no sound. If someone will direct me to a how to I don't mind doing some work too get it up and running.

Thanks,
James
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

The correct code i think should be "options snd-hda-intel model=auto" despite what it says on the ubuntu forum, maybe try that.
from https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/25365
jokersloose

Post by jokersloose »

Yep that did it. Thank you so very much for the help.

Thanks,
James
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

To edit configuration files you need root, so open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
It works if you have a root filebrowser, Linux usually do not need the extensions of file names to associate them with the correct software...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
jokersloose

Post by jokersloose »

To be honest when I loaded and had no sound I thought for sure I would end up dumping it after a few days. I loaded a different one on this laptop and fought with the same issue for almost 2 weeks before re-loading the main stream OS on it. This is the first one I have loaded that "works" on it. If the sound worked then the wiresless wouldn't, if the wireless worked the sound didn't or something else would "break". So I am impressed with Mint and just how easy it has been for me, someone who is fairly new to linux and still learning some of the lingo. So good job to everyone who works on it and the ease they have worked into it.

I look forward to learning a new distro. :D

Thanks again,
James

Return to “Beginner Questions”