I wanna use win key as I did in windows.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thkang

I wanna use win key as I did in windows.

Post by thkang »

My laptop and pretty much every keyboard I can find has a key called win key which is located between left control and left alt.

I recently migrated to KDE mint 13. I often press win key to pop up start menu (is it called launch menu in KDE? I dont really know) to run new programs, and do etc.

However in KDE I can't find any setting or customization to do this. I checked keyboard and shortcut settings, and their is no menu entry for start menu. moreover, the settings program won't let me use start key itself as a shortcut - pressing it envokes 'Meta + ' entry, which I understood as it is only possible to use it in combinations.

Using xev my win key gives keycode 133.

Any help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BostonPeng

Re: I wanna use win key as I did in windows.

Post by BostonPeng »

You can right click on the start menu button and select Settings. That should give you a dialog with an option labeled Keyboard Shortcut. Simply click on the button that shows the current setting and you can press the key combination you want to use to open the menu, but it won't let you use just the Windows key (Linux calls it the Meta key) so you'll have to select the key and something else. Once you have set the combination you want just click OK and you'll be able to use the key combination to open the menu.

I'm not sure what you're using for the start menu since I'm pretty sure I changed mine to the Application Launcher but whatever you use the right-click menu will show something like Application Launcher Settings... This is the option you want to use to key the shortcut.

Return to “Software & Applications”