Poll: Desktop environments

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.

Which desktop environments do you use?

Cinnamon
30%
Fluxbox, OpenBox, Blackbox, *box
3%
Gnome Fallback
3%
Gnome Shell
9%
KDE
11%
LXDE
6%
MATE
19%
Other non-listed DE (Enlightenment, Trinity, RazorQT, ROX) or not using or planning to use any of the DEs listed in this poll.
2%
Unity
4%
Xfce
13%

Total votes: 4983

mysoomro

Re: Poll: Desktop environments

Post by mysoomro »

KDE is my favorite Desktop Environment.
When I started using mint; Katya was the release that I got. I installed GNOME in it. Didn't like it much, so changed to KDE. But It used to freeze a lot. Somehow managed to go on.
Life became a lot easier with Lisa KDE. It was really great. Used it for a long time. And there were almost no freeze or speed issues..
When Maya came, I couldn't control myself. And got an image for Maya Cinnamon. It seemed to be good, but some friend on Xchat IRC said i should try xfce and it is better than Cinnamon. But I didn't installed either of those; I got KDE again. But unfortunately it was too damn slow.. It was so irritating.. So switched to XFCE.
Well! it's good. Fast and elegant..
But I like KDE..
linuxdude2

Post by linuxdude2 »

Can somebody tell me if there are application compatibility problems in Cinnamon compared to MATE?
lendote

Post by lendote »

Hi,
Experience distro like openSuse 12.1, Fedora 16, MageIA 2 and ubuntu 12.04, I now discovering Linux Mint with MATE DE.
Concerning Cinnamon .. in a near futur, dual booting on my ACER 5552G.
teatime

Post by teatime »

New user - Cinnamon and I like it - thank you!
dorrellkc

Post by dorrellkc »

kde is for sure my favorite.
Mushorwell

Post by Mushorwell »

My gnome 3, cinnamon and KDE get extremely sluggish when my computer is not connected to a network/internet. I do not understand what the cause of this could be, is it possible that simply being connected to a network can enhance the performance of these DE's or could this issue be something more to do with the graphics driver I use, or maybe ultimately there is something very wrong with my linux mint setup (ie. might have to fresh install and start over to fix this)? For the mean-time I have managed to set up a good AwesomeWM session for fallback purposes and when I am not connected to a network.
Has anyone encountered a similar problem?
baptiste

Post by baptiste »

maybe the network card driver is crazy.
doing some pointless thing all over again and again.
if you run "top" in a terminal, can you see an offending process using 100% of a core?
does disabling in BIOS, or removing the network card/interface/stick, "solve" the problem?

if not, this is deep.
a reason for your computer working with awesome may be, if no network manager is launched, then none of the crazyness happens.
you may try disabling the networking manager in gnome/KDE, preventing it from being launched or even removing try ; try to use wicd instead.

when I install a desktop that only gets network from cabled internet, I get rid of the network manager and use a simple /etc/network/interfaces file. old text and CLI but that gives me one less thing to worry about.

btw, I awesome is a good choice for tiling manager I'll have to try it :). there are so many ones. I may judge it given the names, most are non-descriptive but there's "awesome" and "ratpoison", surely the former will be easier than the latter :oops:
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

linuxdude2 wrote:Can somebody tell me if there are application compatibility problems in Cinnamon compared to MATE?
No problems here w/Cinnamon except for the "Panel Launcher", which randomly removes or changes launchers and became invisible (can't access it to add items) when it was empty. FWIW.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
tarkus

Post by tarkus »

MATE totally rocks!!! I've been a long time Gnome user, but really hated what they did with Gnome 3. Just started running MATE with Mint 13, and it's true Gnome, just like it should be. :D :D
toope

Post by toope »

tarkus wrote:MATE totally rocks!!! I've been a long time Gnome user, but really hated what they did with Gnome 3. Just started running MATE with Mint 13, and it's true Gnome, just like it should be. :D :D
I 2nd this - MATE made my day :D
Asimov

Post by Asimov »

Enlightenement, because it's the most flexible. I try KDE, but the pager is broken. I try openbox, but it keep crashing. The standard menu on Gnome is OK, but for non anglophone the iconic menu in the background is unusable because of the limitation of 12 character at the bottom of the icon. I have 12 icons with the word "Gestionnaire" because for langage like French or Italian the order of the expression are different. In French, Italian the expression "display manager" would become something like"manager of display".
Wolfen69
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wolfen69 »

I'm using lxde right now, but who knows how long that will last. I get bored every few months and use something else. All DE's are good to me, and it really doesn't matter what I use.
Lord High Warlock

Post by Lord High Warlock »

I'm in the 11%...KDE for me! :D
AllGamer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AllGamer »

Wow! incredible

never expected to see Cinnamon to be so popular, i though it was just myself and very few others that actually like this new DE
veggen

Post by veggen »

Well, to be honest, it's probably not that popular outside of Mint community. But, that might change as well, 'cause Cinnamon is an actually good DE.
sobrus

Post by sobrus »

Im using Mate+Compiz, wonderful DE.
But I have Cinnamon installed also and plan to use it in the near future.
Just waiting as it becomes more mature and stable.
Used to have xfce on suse, but it's a bit on the "too simple" side (for example lacks bluetooth support). Mate is better.
Mintified

Post by Mintified »

I absolutely loved Cinnamon, but kept getting wierd glitches like themes dropping out or the mint menu freezing while browsing for items. I had openSuse installed dual boot and KDE worked perfectly so I installed Mint KDE 13 when it arrived. I've had a perfectly smooth time with it so far (other than my noob ignorance and tinkering too much) and it is now the only linux OS on my system.

I'll probably try cinnamon again some time in the future but for now KDE is great.

Keep up the good work guys, you have a good loyal following and it can only get better as other distro's ignore their users needs.
MerelyJim

Post by MerelyJim »

I like running Xfce on my Acer Netbook (32-bit, a few years old, only 1GB RAM) because the system resources are so minimal. I got so used to the interface, though, that after playing with Cinnamon and Mate for a few days each, I wiped the hard drive on a new Toshiba 64-bit laptop, and installed Xfce again. Little puppy really moves now! :lol:
joness31

Desktop environments

Post by joness31 »

I will vote for LXDE in view of its convenience in using However I am also looking towards using MATE along with Cinnamon in order to have good screen views and preview exercises.
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

After a hectic few weeks of setting up each and every version of LM13 on my two desktop systems and giving each version a solid few days workout, I've settled on Xfce.

As far as I'm concerned it's the pick of the bunch - it's the snappiest and simply feels 'just right'.

I'm yet to run into any bugs or game-stopping glitches. It's also quite customisable - something which I didn't really expect.

Cheers,

Mike.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”