AmsterDan

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
amsterdan

AmsterDan

Post by amsterdan »

Hi there,

My name is Daniel and entirely new to this amazing world of GNU and Linux. Everyone seems to be scared of it since 'you need to know code'. Gotta say, it is handy if you do, but with all the available help out here and me therefore learning more, I tend to see that the basic stuff isn't all that hard. You just need to know haha! I'm greatful for the service and the ability to choose a fair product. I read up on proprietory OS, learned about some politics and started to see why the things in this world are the way they are. I have always known, but never knew how to take my first steps against it.

Well, this might be it! I found Mint to be faster, more fun, more secure ... and in the end, I have more control over the computer than I ever had before! This all backed up by a helpful and friendly community. Wish I had discovered it all sooner.

That leaves me with two questions:
1. The difference between 'update' and 'upgrade'.
2 What is the command line to update/upgrade particular software, rather than everything on the OS?

Thanks in advance!
Daniel
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The-Wizard

Re: AmsterDan

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome to the mint family forums

wizard
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Hi Daniel, welcome to the Linux Mint forums :D Thanks for joining the forums! As to your questions:
  1. Update means to refresh your local index of packages available in the repositories (from where you install software normally). From this local index, the package management system (Debian's APT) can then figure out if there are any packages that can be upgraded on your system (if there are newer versions available in the repositories than you have installed on your system). So upgrading means to install those newer versions :wink:
  2. The command to upgrade but a single package is:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --only-upgrade packagename
    Where you replace packagename with the name of the package to upgrade. Note that this will also upgrade any dependency packages (for example if you upgrade some program, if the newer version requires newer versions of certain libraries those will also be upgraded). Generally easier to do this with the Update Manager. And I'm not sure why you would want to upgrade only one package. Generally the Update Manager keeps packages that may be pose a risk to your system's stability on the same version (see Edit > Preferences menu where you can configure level 4 and level 5 packages, which are normally not upgraded--things like kernel and graphics card drivers).
Be sure also to check out the Community website (tutorials, hardware and software reviews, ideas), and the Cinnamon Spices website for adding even more themes, applets and extensions to Cinnamon.

You can also chat in real-time with other Linux Mint users. In the Mint Menu, in the Internet section, start the application XChat IRC. You will automatically get connected to #linuxmint-chat for general chat and #linuxmint-help for support with other Linux Mint users.

Have fun with Linux Mint.
amsterdan

Post by amsterdan »

Thanks for those links Vincent ... enough study material to keep me busy for a while. Much appreciated though! :D
jesica

Post by jesica »

welcome to the forum :mrgreen:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”