UPDATE PACK 5 FEEDBACK THREAD

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
TheOneLaw

Re: UPDATE PACK 5 FEEDBACK THREAD

Post by TheOneLaw »

squeezy wrote:I think there are some big dependency issues with the Xfce upgrade.

I almost did an upgrade test on a fresh LMDE Xfce installation. I installed a newly downloaded 32-bit 201204 Xfce ISO. Got it up and running nicely, did the few updates that were available in the UP4 repo and ran the system for two days to make sure everything was A-OK.
>snip<
... I wanted an upgrade to Xfce. I never ran the update. I switch things around a lot, and tri-boot my machine now (with a little advice from GeneC, thanks!) so I'll just install something different on this partition. But I feel badly for the people who do use the Xfce spin of LMDE because they're getting a raw deal on this UP, IMO.
Thanks for this timely news, I was preparing to dive in and help test this as I (and a few unsuspecting acquaintances) have several machines running the XFCE (32bit and 64bit) rendition,
but I guess with this magnitude of an issue I will just try this out on a warehouse resident, at arms length.

Not to worry, anyway - by my estimate there are probably only about 8 of us using the XFCE spin of LMDE... :lol:

I am sure the basic Ubuntu stuff requires a lot more attention than the microscopic population us LMDE folk represent.

Maybe there is a way to disable the gnome-shell thingy before taking the plunge.

Cheers to everyone !
nodh

Post by nodh »

Update Pack 5 works like a charm overall.
Altough I had to pin libcairo2 (and its dependencies) to version 1.10.2 because chromium (20.0) would be really slow with the incoming 1.12.2.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

TheOneLaw wrote:Maybe there is a way to disable the gnome-shell thingy before taking the plunge.
That's the problem, there is no Gnome Shell in place to disable prior to the upgrade. But, there are enough Gnome apps that I'm sure something else pulled Gnome Shell in, which in turn restored Nautilus and brought in extra Gnome goodies I really didn't want.

In Mint's defense I know it's easier to run a shared base of apps and just plop different DEs on top, but it would be really nice to see an Xfce version that was more pure and not including so many Gnome apps.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

squeezy, we tried to answer that here
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

Ah, interesting read, zerozero. I had not seen that thread before.

I guessed there was some component in LMDE Xfce that pulled in GNOME Shell. It wasn't a huge deal, just more of a disappointment to see another DE added. I'm on to a SID/Xfce setup now anyway :wink:
ashfaq

Post by ashfaq »

Messed up! My Mistake! I did the upgrade without reading any info any where, and jumped to the forum when I am in fix, looking for help fellows! here is the story, I am a newbee of sort, have time, and like to play with LMDE.
Reading in some forum, i went for a custom kernel, 3.5.1 also got the latest nvidia by installing "smxi" everything was fine and working smoothly on LMDE 1204 default. Having read about change in the repositories will give me the latest system, I went for the upgrade, the download was smooth, but the installation stuck up in middle! I restarted the system, lost x' thought could re-install with smxi but no, the text mode wont connect to internet, as I have a dial up 3g through usb, and I dont know how to connect ! From X, the the networking icons when clicked it is easy to get connected, as the system recognizes the Huwavei Modem easily.

Now, I know I have made calculated foolish mistakes! What I want is, where is my latest downloded files location! and a how to to use these files again for the update, so that I need not download them again, how to save these files, I can access the filesystem through "Puppy linux" in usb, that is how I am connecting to this forum!
If this is resolved, I will re-install my original LMDE than go for the upgrade once again without touching the kernal, and nvidia adventure!

I hope you guys will help me learn! Please consider I am no Expert. Waiting for a "How to with advise"

Ashfaq Shaikh.
ketoth

Post by ketoth »

ashfaq wrote: What I want is, where is my latest downloded files location! and a how to to use these files again for the update, so that I need not download them again, how to save these files, I can access the filesystem through "Puppy linux" in usb, that is how I am connecting to this forum!
If this is resolved, I will re-install my original LMDE than go for the upgrade once again without touching the kernal, and nvidia adventure!
Saving the APT cache, it is ?

/var/cache/apt/archives

Should be quite a mess of plenty .deb files. However, I'm not sure simply copy-pasting them on the new install makes them detected by APT and so excluded from download.
Note: there is something with /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin and /var/cache/apt/srcpkgcache.bin: APT cleaning deletes them, if I'm not wrong these are the "database files" that APT requires to know what is cached.

See APT clean in simulation mode: sudo apt-get -s clean

Code: Select all

Del /var/cache/apt/archives/* /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/*
Del /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin /var/cache/apt/srcpkgcache.bin
For the 3.5.1 kernel you're a bit way ahead yes, UP5 still is in the 3.2 branch.
ashfaq

Post by ashfaq »

Thanks ketoth !
I will simply copy the mentioned folder "/var/cache/apt/archives" go for the new installation and check if apt finds all the updates, if done I will be really happy! as I do have a 3G connection but the signals in my area are of 2g only it took 0hrs for the 637mb of the updates pack to download. New installtion of LMDE is breeze, thanks to the OS Developers no extra packages are downloaded at the time of installations. Lets hope this works. I will let you know! Thanks a lot. And yeah I think you are right 3.5.1 is far ahead, but it worked before the upgrade, and with the latest nvidia, it was great, that is why I thought if the supporting libraries get upgraded it will be improvised! What I will do this time is keep the default driver until all is updated than go for the latest driver. Make an image. store it, than go for the kernel upgrade, again with default driver, what would you suggest?
maxibuntu

Post by maxibuntu »

The mint theme issue is related to one of these packages:

libgtk-3-0 (3.2.3-1) to 3.4.2-2
libgtk-3-bin (3.2.3-1) to 3.4.2-2
libgtk-3-common (3.2.3-1) to 3.4.2-2

After I upgraded these packages, I got white fonts on grey bg, and in gedit white fonts on white bg.
rcrath

Post by rcrath »

I seem to have lost all my custom keyboard shortcuts with update pack 5 in Cinnamon. When I put them back in, they showed up fine in the dialog (Settings/Keyboard/Shortcuts/custom shortcuts) and I can see them in deconf-editor under /org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/media-keys/custom-keybindings,
but none of them work. All the built in ones work fine though (e.g. <super>-h for nautilus in the home dir).
rcrath

Post by rcrath »

The keyboard shortcuts seems specific to gnome. It is pretty well documented with a bunch of workarounds for ubuntu, but none of them work for LMDE. To be a little more specific, it looks like gnome grabs the Super keys and I have figured out how to turn that off by changing default behavior to use as meta key in system settings layouts options, but then the Super keys don't work at all. They just output the unmodified second key. In addition, the other shortcuts sometimes work, sometimes not. I have worked around this by using an alt-shift combo for custom shortcuts, and putting the launchers that don't work (calculator, www, terminal) into custom alt-shift-? shortcutsinstead of the super key, but this kind of sucks as I'm not used to it.

Ubuntu versions have one version of the problem because Unity does shortcuts differently than gnome. gnome moved everything to dconf, while gnome uses gconf. In addition, gnome 3.4 appears to have another perhaps related problem with shortcut keys. suggestions to write the shortcuts directly in gconf or dconf don't work.

gsettings get org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.media-keys custom-keybindings
returns the plugin keys as being stored in custom0...customN, but

gsettings get org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.media-keys.custom-keybindings.custom0 binding
(or command or name instead of binding) returns

No such schema 'org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.media-keys.custom-keybindings.custom0'
even though I can see it in dconf. That is my guess as to where the problem is.

It would be great if this could be resolved in Cinnamon.
driekus

Post by driekus »

I am getting super excited to see this when it is ready. I will wait till the official release though before I make the upgrade. It is my first upgrade since switching from Linux Mint 12 so it will be interesting to see how well the rolling update goes for me.
ketoth

Post by ketoth »

driekus wrote:I am getting super excited to see this when it is ready. I will wait till the official release though before I make the upgrade. It is my first upgrade since switching from Linux Mint 12 so it will be interesting to see how well the rolling update goes for me.
Make sure to burn the ISO and to backup all your data and important application configurations before going for it :) Sometimes unexpected problems pop up only on release (because an update pack can't be tested against all the existing hardware and situations). It's very likely it will be all right and smooth, but one's never safe enough. *implying one's not already doing weekly backups of it's important data

ETA: soon, very soon :P
driekus

Post by driekus »

ketoth wrote:
driekus wrote:I am getting super excited to see this when it is ready. I will wait till the official release though before I make the upgrade. It is my first upgrade since switching from Linux Mint 12 so it will be interesting to see how well the rolling update goes for me.
Make sure to burn the ISO and to backup all your data and important application configurations before going for it :) Sometimes unexpected problems pop up only on release (because an update pack can't be tested against all the existing hardware and situations). It's very likely it will be all right and smooth, but one's never safe enough. *implying one's not already doing weekly backups of it's important data

ETA: soon, very soon :P
I always image my drive before I do any major updates. If something goes wonky during the update that I cant easily recover from I can always go back to my image.

I read the importance of imaging drives before updating Debian somewhere. It is great advice that I hope I will never have to use.
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

Just for the record, another couple of nasties from UP5.

The system now drops to a lower screen resolution when it comes out of screen save mode (i.e. switches the screen back on) if the KVM switch (Sitecom 4 Port) was set to another computer when the screen blanked. This has never been a problem before.

The NFS server is invisible on the other computers in the local network.
maxibuntu

Post by maxibuntu »

It seems the mint themes have been fixed, and mintupdate-debian no longer "crashes" when finished, giving you a chance to review the update process in the terminal window. Great work!
maxibuntu

Post by maxibuntu »

Error on installing mint-artwork-xfce:

/var/lib/dpkg/info/mint-artwork-xfce.postinst: 36: /var/lib/dpkg/info/mint-artwork-xfce.postinst: glib-compile-schemas: not found
maxibuntu

Post by maxibuntu »

CUPS error after upgrade:

sudo service cups start
[....] Starting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd/usr/sbin/cupsd: symbol lookup error: /usr/sbin/cupsd: undefined symbol: _ppdCacheGetFinishingOptions
. ok

sudo service cups stop
[ ok ] Stopping Common Unix Printing System: cupsd.
maxibuntu

Post by maxibuntu »

maxibuntu wrote:CUPS error after upgrade:

sudo service cups start
[....] Starting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd/usr/sbin/cupsd: symbol lookup error: /usr/sbin/cupsd: undefined symbol: _ppdCacheGetFinishingOptions
. ok

sudo service cups stop
[ ok ] Stopping Common Unix Printing System: cupsd.
Works now. Forgot to upgrade libcups2. Had to be done manually, dependancy issue in cups package?
fiver22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fiver22 »

If anyone is curious, after getting UP5 I decided to install Xfce 4.10 following these instructions
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.ph ... 86#p577386 (basically adding deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian experimental main contrib non-free and pulling in all necessary xfce4.10 stuff via synaptic) and all is well. System is happily running along.

Return to “LMDE Archive”