Installing an XML key layout: Can it be done? If so, how?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
finkelsteiner

Installing an XML key layout: Can it be done? If so, how?

Post by finkelsteiner »

Hello,

I recently switched from Mac OS to Linux Mint, and I'm loving it thoroughly. The only thing I miss about my Mac is being able to use a custom keyboard layout (written by a linguist and former colleague of mine) which is completely phonetic and makes typing in Yiddish immensely easier than trying it with the normal Hebrew keyboard. So:

a) Are key layouts written in XML even compatible with Linux?
b) If so, in what directory are the files for all the available key layouts located?
c) If it's more than a matter of simply copying the file into said directory to make that layout available, what else do I need to do to be able to use it?
d) If I need to try and translate the original XML key layout file to some other format to be compatible with Linux, what format do Linux key layout files use?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers any of the above. Please let me know if there's any information you might need to know for the sake of clarification!

--finkelsteiner
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Installing an XML key layout: Can it be done? If so, how

Post by xenopeek »

There is a topic on the Ubuntu forums, with various ways to map your keys. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=188761

I'd follow the third comment, and create a ~/.xmodmap file to remap your keys to different characters.

It is not in XML format, so this might be some work...

Return to “Other topics”