Updater and synaptic crash

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
knut-erland

Updater and synaptic crash

Post by knut-erland »

I have just installed Mint 13 KDE ad I'm facing a problem with Synaptic (which also is causing Mintupdate to fail) - it launches but immediately terminates. I've tried to disable the KDE screen reader (which was not enabled by default), and I've also tried to set preferred language to English (as described here: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s ... ion/196661) without any result at all. Besides, I've tried to re-install first synaptic, then also re-installed Maya, still facing the same problem. However, Synaptic did seem to work running Maya from the DVD...

This is what I get in the terminal when I try to run kdesudo synaptic:

Code: Select all

QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: Ingen slik fil eller filkatalog (No such file or directory)
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/knut-erland/.config/ibus/bus

(synaptic:6163): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(synaptic:6163): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(synaptic:6163): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Updater and synaptic crash

Post by viking777 »

Topic moved here/edited by moderator. The topic you attached it to does not even relate to the same Mint version number or desktop environment and is 8 months old. In this case you should start your own topic.
knut-erland

Post by knut-erland »

Ok.

Just to add on: The problem seems to me very like what is described here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=90561 Synaptic opens, and closes. No KDE crash report.

Btw, I've also run

apt update && apt upgrade

That worked well (no problems with apt), but still synaptic won't run.

Do somebody have any idea on how to solve this?
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

This is just a shot in the dark, but try it.

First off, these messages:

(synaptic:6163): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(synaptic:6163): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(synaptic:6163): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
I get too and Synaptic works for me, so disregard them.

This message:

QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: Ingen slik fil eller filkatalog (No such file or directory)
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/knut-erland/.config/ibus/bus
try adding the directories /home/knut-erland/.config/ibus/bus manually and rerunning Synaptic.

Hope this helps.
knut-erland

Post by knut-erland »

Thanks for the workaround. I have not tried it, because I just got it to work by changing the locale settings. But I'll try it if synaptic ever fails again. However, it now seems to me that it was the creation of these folders upon the first launch of Synaptic that made it crash due to my locale & language settings.

What I just did, was to reset all locale settings to American English (both county and languages), keeping American English as preferred language #1. The reboot and launch synaptic, and for some strange reason it did not crash. Then I set all locale settings back to Norway/Norwegian Bokmaal, with American English as 2nd preferred language (fall-back?). Launching synaptic without any trouble, then rebooting and still no problems with synaptic. I don't know why this did not work last time I tried, maybe I had missed one setting necessary to change? Probably so. Anyway, opposite to what described here: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s ... ion/196661, I've got a "Norwegian" system running with synaptic (and hence mintupdate) working.

Edit:
After another few reboots Synaptic stopped working again... Do not understand why, and the work-around described above did not work either; running

sudo synaptic
now gives following on the command-line:

(synaptic:2638): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(synaptic:2638): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(synaptic:2638): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
Otyugh

Post by Otyugh »

(synaptic:7336): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(synaptic:7336): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(synaptic:7336): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
I have personnaly theses, and everything works if I just ignore that, but I wonder why, if anybody have a idea ^^

Return to “Software & Applications”