MintStore

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
No ideas for application developers here please. For example instead use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo.

MintStore

Postby Rudemeister on Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:17 pm

A few years ago I took an interest in a distribution called Linspire. It was quite an ambitious undertaking that may have been before it's time. I think they gave up too early. But anyway, they had a website called cnr.com which stood for Click N Run. You could download and install all your apps directly from this website. You could also purchase commercial software from there. I believe you could link it directly to the repos too.

I love Linux Mint. It is the best execution of a distro I have used yet. I think it would be great to create an analogous website. Then you could bypass Software Manager. Mint could also sell some of the fine commercial applications for Linux there too. This would only boost the development of Mint Linux. Heck, Apple is making zillion at their Apple store and Microsoft is headed down the same road. Why not distribute much of this great FOSS using a similar means?

I vote for http://www.mintstore.com. I think the domain is for sale too. I hope they wouldn't want too much.

:-)
HP XW8600 Work Station
Dual Quad-Core 3Ghz Xeon CPU's
32GB PC2-5300 ECC DRAM
Nvidia GT520 2G GDDR3 Graphics
2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM
Linux Mint 16 KDE 64-bit
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Rudemeister
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Mint Store

Postby che on Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:24 am

Has there been any thought around setting up a 'mint store' for proprietary applications, this would make it easier for users to purchase proprietary software they need whilst providing a revenue source for the project. A list of packages that could be targeted:
* Fluendo Codec pack
* Fluendo DVD PLayer
* Vuescan
* Nero LinuxGuitar Pro
* Corel Aftershot Pro
* Houdini
* Autodesk Maya
* Softmaker office
* Datascene
* Moneydance
* Mathematica
* MATLAB
* SPSS
* Stata
* Parralells
* VMWare Workstation
* PDF Studio

Thoughts?
che
Level 1
Level 1

Re: MintStore

Postby zerozero on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:10 am

[moved here, same subject, topics merged, it's interesting to see the interest in this subject]
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas