Need help with sound driver: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz N270

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Need help with sound driver: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz N270

Postby waldolandry on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:11 pm

I need help setting up my old Dell dimension 4300's sound card. The card is in known working condition. My first of 3 installs was Linux Mint: Ubuntu GNOME "IMO the best so far" and I had problems with the audio cutting out "Sucked into The Matrix style" whenever the song changed or I adjusted the volume even slightly. If I fiddled with the volume a bit it would play music for another song or so.

Next, after totally diggin my newly "clean themed machine" and digging at Google search for a few hrs I formatted and installed a fresh copy of Fedora core 17.

Same problem with that distribution.. So, fdisk awaayyyaAhHhwtf.

Decided to take some pretty good advice and go with Linux Mint: Debian XFCE this time once and for all. So here I am in the forums and I am almost positive that this is a driver/compatibility issue. I will attempt to attach a pic of Mixer. It displays "Mixer - Playback: Dummy Output (PulseAudio Mixer)" as the sound card and this time there is no sound at all.
Not even Matrix noises.

The first distro definitely auto-detected the card but was using what it's default "compatible" driver is for that sound card, which I have read online does not work well with the TB Santa Cruz although it is made for it.

I am hoping that someone may be able to point me in the right direction. Possibly a few command lines to download/install the proper driver or a link to a compatible Mint Debian XFCE driver packckage ".PAK" file for Turtle Beach Santa Cruz N270?

Any help from you gurus and code jedi would be greatly appreciated. I am only an amateur Linux user with a few college courses under my white belt lol. Basic knowledge of the Linux interface just isn't enough if I cannot locate the correct driver. Thank you for your time reading my hardware issue. I hope that I have posted this in the right section and someone may shed some sound on my situation.

~Waldo~
Attachments
Screenshot - 083.png
Mixer Screenshot
Screenshot - 083.png (46.06 KiB) Viewed 2134 times
Last edited by waldolandry on Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waldolandry
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Need help with sound driver: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz N27

Postby Oscar799 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:24 am

Moved here by moderator
"Don't fix it if it ain't broken,don't break it if you can't fix it" Husse
Registered Linux User #511789
Oscar799
Level 18
Level 18

Postby waldolandry on Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:10 pm

Found exactly what I was looking for finally!

I now have sound again but its back to the annoying clipping matrix sounds and "EEERRRRRR" every 10 secs or whenever I touch the volume. ANY advice would be VERY helpful I am at a loss and completely clueless on what to do next. My chair has a utility knife stuck in it like some kind of Excalibur sword from when I threw it and I cant pull it out.. About to throw another knife at it and see if that does the trick if I hear one more godam "EERRRRRAAANNNJJJHHHH" I might just throw this pc off of a bridge.. I only fixed the thing so I could listen to music with it and check my email for godssake, ergh!

My Solution Was:

http://wiki.debian.org/snd-cs46xx

The Santa Cruz uses a Crystal 4630 Audio Chipset
waldolandry
Level 1
Level 1

Postby waldolandry on Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:50 pm

Hope im not breaking the rules when I say..

bump

I still have to go back to Playback CS 4614/22/24/30 and play with the slider after a song or 2 goes by to get it to stop buzzing. Then back to Sound Fusion on the mixer and I can smoothly adjust the volume. Still have to switch back and forth constantly to mute/unmute, just to stop the horrible sounds from raping my ears at over 120db.
This is an email/musicbox machine. All I need it for is to check my email and play loud music. Ever heard Neo get sucked into the matrix at 100+db through 3 12 inch PA guitar speakers? Its F-in facemelting.
Thank you again guys, VERY helpful so far..
waldolandry
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Sound, Multimedia & Codecs