[SOLVED] - LMDE 201204 - Random Missing Sound on Laptop

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
lkraemer

[SOLVED] - LMDE 201204 - Random Missing Sound on Laptop

Post by lkraemer »

I've installed LMDE 201204 on my Wife's Gateway MT-6840 Laptop, replacing Ubuntu 10.04. Lately she has been complaining about sound
missing at random times. Sometimes she doesn't have Sound when on Yahoo, or TheTrumpet.com, or other sites that have video's with
sound. I've read the numerous postings of problems with LMDE and I've checked the following things. After the fact, I've tried to find
things that don't have sound, but everything seems to work fine when I'm using the computer. I'm still getting grief, and I'm grasping at
straws, trying to find the problem..............................

This Command:

Code: Select all

lspci -v | grep -i audio
Gives these results:

larry@lmde ~ $ lspci -v | grep -i audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
larry@lmde ~ $
This command:

cat /proc/asound/cards
Gives these results:

larry@lmde ~ $ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xd8240000 irq 45
larry@lmde ~ $
This command:

inxi -SAxc 0
Gives this result:

larry@lmde ~ $ inxi -SAxc 0
System:    Host lmde Kernel 3.2.0-2-486 i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint Xfce Edition
Audio:     Card Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver snd_hda_intel BusID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.24
larry@lmde ~ $
These Commands appear to function normally:

aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav
aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Right.wav
speaker-test -c 2 -l 3
alsamixer
This Command:

grep "$USER" /etc/group
Gives these results:

larry@lmde ~ $ grep "$USER" /etc/group
lp:x:7:larry
cdrom:x:24:larry
floppy:x:25:larry
sudo:x:27:larry
audio:x:29:pulse,larry
video:x:44:larry
plugdev:x:46:larry
netdev:x:108:larry
bluetooth:x:109:larry
lpadmin:x:110:larry
powerdev:x:116:larry
scanner:x:117:saned,larry
larry:x:1000:
larry@lmde ~ $
Everything looks normal to me, and appears to work when I try it. I need a specific problem definition so I can duplicate the problem.

I've gone too:
Menu --> System --> Users and Groups
Within Users and Groups, select "Advanced Settings" and then select the "User Privileges" tab. I checked (Enabled) all of the necessary groups.
Those entries are shown in the attached PNG file.

I've added the other groups that I should be added to, with:

sudo adduser larry sudo netdev
I've logged out and logged back in to the XFCE Desktop, and rebooted.

Nothing is MUTED, and I haven't had problems playing MP3's when I try them. Youtube Video's seem to work for me as does the websites I visit.

I'm requesting a bit of assistance...............if anyone has anything to suggest, because I'm not sure my Straw House will take much
more of the Huffing & Puffing..........

And to top it off, my Daughter, who is in Texas, has informed me that her Compaq CQ61-313US Laptop with LMDE 201204 that I installed
on her last visit, now also has sound problems. Those problems were caused by her using MUTE to silence the Laptop. I've sent her an
email requesting detailed information on how she activated MUTE. When she UN-Muted the sound it hasn't had sound since. And, she
is wanting it to work. I've also sent her the above commands to test her system, and she is to reply with the results of the above commands.
When I get those I'll post those. But it most likely will be a day or so, as she is traveling in TX this weekend.

Does anyone have any ideas or things I can try to get the sound fully functional on my Gateway MT-6840 Laptop?

Both LMDE Laptops have the latest Updates as of 08-31-2012 via MintUpdate. And that hasn't been many.......

Thanks.

Larry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
starccraft

Re: LMDE 201204 - Random Missing Sound on Laptop

Post by starccraft »

i have the same problem within lmde on my laptop. in my case: lost sound after pressing mute (which is expected) but then unmute doesn't work. i found that i have to open up alsa mixer, manually tick the mute check box for "master" "headphone" and "speaker", and then untick all 3 above in the same sequence. then the sound came back. hope it work for you
lkraemer

Re: LMDE 201204 - Random Missing Sound on Laptop

Post by lkraemer »

starcraft,
I had my daughter try your suggestions, and she now has sound again. THANKS. There must be a situation where the
sound is Muted and the Software doesn't display it properly. But, by toggling it, it gets reset where the Display and Software
are in Sync ......... somehow.

I had her also try the following commands in a Terminal Window:

aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav
aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Right.wav
speaker-test -c 2 -l 3
alsamixer
And everything appears to be working.

Larry

Return to “LMDE Archive”