Mint 12 suddenly won't boot

Forums for the LXDE Edition
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint 12 suddenly won't boot

Postby Binnie Bo Lynnie on Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:20 pm

I've been running Mint 12 LXDE for a few weeks. i am a TOTAL NOOB... i installed this particular version at the recommendation of a friend [because my windows vista stopped running, and i didn't have a install disk to repair] ....i don't know what LXDE means, if that tells you anything. :roll: ...i believe i installed 32 bit (again, whatever that means...)

anyways, its been running fine until this morning, i came to the computer and it was frozen, and so i cold booted (which i have done before) but this time it wouldn't run. so i opened it in safe mode, and see 'fail fail fail' riddled throughout the text that scrolls by...

next i booted off the disk and it came up, but without any of my personalization or files, and the option to install.

so i tried to poke around in the data and what i *think* was the partition i had previously installed mint to, says "DBus error org.gtk.Private.RemoteVolumeMonitor.Failed: An operation is already pending"

...when i try to 'mount' it (don't really understand that either) , it says "Error mounting: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda5,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so
"

Got NO CLUE as to what this means.

my laptop is about 4-5 years old...

any ideas for this ignoramus??? :roll: :)
Binnie Bo Lynnie
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint 12 suddenly won't boot

Postby reallylostalot on Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:05 pm

I'm no expert, but if you can boot via the install cd/dvd, then my first advice is to copy your home folder to an external drive or other suitable media. I've seen this error before, and it was a bad hard drive.

Anyway, you can then check the disk from the live cd/dvd. Open a terminal window, and type "sudo fsck.ext3 /dev/sda1"

This will check the disk for errors and try to fix them.

Good luck.
reallylostalot
Level 1
Level 1

Return to LXDE