[solved] KDE session not starting properly after software up

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linuxrev

[solved] KDE session not starting properly after software up

Post by linuxrev »

Today I had a problem I'd had before. After updating the kernel with Synaptic I rebooted my computer. The system started neatly, including KDE, but not completely. I have set KDE to start from a manually saved session, but it looked as if it had forgotten what I had saved, and saving again did not work. What was wrong?
  • In the system tray a number of entries was missing, custom ones as well as default ones.
  • The shutdown option did not work, neither from the application launcher, nor from the taskbar widget.
  • Keyboard shortcuts did not work, unless I restarted these manually from System Settings > Shortcuts & Gestures.
I muddled around, beginning at the unnecessarily complicated end, as usual... Finally it was quite simple to solve the problem.

From System Settings > Startup & Shutdown > Session Management, under 'At Login' I ticked 'Restore previous session', and rebooted from a terminal:

Code: Select all

$ sudo reboot
At restart I had my system tray entries all back, and the keyboard shortcuts were working as before.

From System Settings > Startup & Shutdown > Session Management, under 'At Login' I ticked anew 'Restore manually saved session', I saved the session from the application launcher, and rebooted -- et voila! it all worked.

You may need to restart one more time, but this it how the problem seems to be solved.

System: LinuxMint 13 LTS + KDE 4.7
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
linuxrev

Re: [solved] KDE session not starting properly after softwar

Post by linuxrev »

Well, a wee update.

I've had some similar hang-ups now. It seems that for some reasons KDE hangs when KMix or some other part of the sound system is being loaded. The most easy solution is to just push the BRB and switch off your computer. At the next restart the problem will most likely have been solved.

Return to “Software & Applications”