Good place to chat about Linux? (esp Mint!)

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Hi everyone! :)

LOVE my Mint!

I have spent the last few weeks trying out different Linux distros, and really, the only one that worked for what I needed, given my skill/experience level to make things work, was Mint. Thanks so much to all the people who work to make Mint such a solid user experience! Also, I love the MATE interface, better than the others I tried, though Xfce is very close. I imagine moving to Xfce as I learn more, but for now if nice to have more options pop so I know they are available.

So, here is my question. I have been reading a lot of Linux sites the last few weeks, and have found so much great info on how to do things. The one thing I am missing, and this may be a bit silly, is some place to just talk about Linux, in a not necessarily techie forum. I see we have several Chat Forums here, and I like those, but I wonder if there is some more broadly-focused place out there, a general like 'Linux Cafe'?

Thanks again to everyone for all the resources and the awesome software! I look forward to learning more about Linux, and meeting ppl here!

Caerolle :)

Oh, and here is my system info, for anyone who is interested:

Processor : 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz
Memory : 4045MB
HHD: : 1 TB
Operating System : Linux Mint 13 Maya
OpenGL Renderer : ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

I have a Samsung 830 128 GB SSD on order, currently reading up on installing/optimizing SSD on Linux. I will use my 1 TB HHD as a Windows 7 system/playground for other Linux distros (I prefer to install and update them to get to perform like they really should, and to see if they work with one of my 'must-have' programs, which will hardly work with anything). I plan to use the two hard drives as completely different systems, plugging in only one drive at a time with booting in between (won't use the HHD very often), 'cause I don't want dual boot. I have an external drive I use for back-up, so don't really need the ! TB for that. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Good place to chat about Linux? (esp Mint!)

Post by xenopeek »

This should probably go here then :D And welcome to Linux Mint!
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I am a member of several Linux-based distro Forums. Even if I don't use that distro anymore.
Rarely do I get any negative feedack or "you can't post that here"

Linux is the Kernel ... we all use the same basic kernel.

If you want a broader surface and expanded view about Linux and every distro known-to-man, check out LinuxQuestions site. http://www.linuxquestions.org
Or maybe here > the LinuxForums has a Coffee Lounge: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/coffee-lounge/
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

I am part of manu forums too and this one is awesome. I get good feedvack and there isnt a whole lot of drama.

But all the linux forums are great.

I will say as fair warning when it comes ot more advanced linux distro forums the users expect you to know your stuff.

Linux Mint is real good for beginners and is stanle enough for everyday use so this forum is genuinely nice and helpful.

But distros that require higher level of knowledge are not too sympathetic to newbie conversation. At least that is my observation.
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I will check out some of the links cited.

And Vincent, sorry for posting the wrong plsce! <blushes>

caer :)

Return to “Chat about Linux”