Settings Menu entries

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yerc

Settings Menu entries

Post by yerc »

As personal preference, I want to remove the menu entries for Appearance, Desktop, File Manager Preferences, etc from Settings Menu as these are already within Settings Manager.

Adding "NoDisplay=true" to the .desktop file removes both the menu entry and the Settings Manager entry.
Removing the "Settings" Category from the .desktop file also removes the entry from both menu and "Settings Manager".

I googled and searched XFCE.org for a solution but found nothing relevant.
Please help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ukbrian

Re: Settings Menu entries

Post by ukbrian »

Have a go at the categories= bit
Try removing "Settings" first, if you add an extra line underneath with a "#"

Code: Select all

Original
Categories=X-XFCE;Settings;DesktopSettings;X-XfceSettingsDialog;
Modified
Categories=X-XFCE;DesktopSettings;X-XfceSettingsDialog;
#Settings;
If that fails try the DesktopSettings;
yerc

Post by yerc »

ukbrian wrote:Have a go at the categories= bit
Try removing "Settings" first, if you add an extra line underneath with a "#"

Code: Select all

Original
Categories=X-XFCE;Settings;DesktopSettings;X-XfceSettingsDialog;
Modified
Categories=X-XFCE;DesktopSettings;X-XfceSettingsDialog;
#Settings;
If that fails try the DesktopSettings;
thanks for replying ukbrian.

that's exactly how i did it (and what i meant by Removing the "Settings" Category from the .desktop file)
but that would remove entries BOTH from Settings menu and Settings Manager (the control panel-like thing).
i want to remove the entry from Settings menu only :)
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

If those two didn't work try removing the other ones one at a time but log out-in after doing the changes.
I don't touch the regular menu, I made up my own custom menus 18 months ago and just copy them into a new install.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Try using Alacarte (menu editor)
default in Maya-Xfce I think. Right click menu click properties then edit menu. (or 'main menu settings/system menu)

You can uncheck box what shows under menu hedidings. I don't think it effect whats in 'setting manager'

J.Jay

EDIT Sorry Alacarte doesn't seem to work as good in (Buntu based) Xfce 4.8 or 4.10 from PPA (Mint13-Xfce) :(
Work alot better on (Buntu's) 12.10 (non PPA) Xfce 4.10. :) Hence Mint 14 when/if :roll: ) Xfce :mrgreen:
Last edited by jjaythomas on Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yerc

Post by yerc »

ukbrian wrote:If those two didn't work try removing the other ones one at a time but log out-in after doing the changes.
I don't touch the regular menu, I made up my own custom menus 18 months ago and just copy them into a new install.
Custom menus is a good idea.
However, I have not had the chance to make one myself. Perhaps in the future i will.

I have since changed path and replaced Mint 13 XFCE's "start" menu (applications menu) with mintMenu.
I find there's a short delay with the "start" menu coming up with mintMenu compared to the default for Mint 13 XFCE.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Just found this out playing around... (In LMDX not sure if in/work with Mint13-Xfce :oops: )

The old 'xfce control center' made for (Mint9 Xfce I believe :?: ) is still in repo's (LMDE at least). Can use as a launcher making sure anything else want in are 'drag Drop to other tab.
Then using alacarte you can delete both settings and/or most of (or all) system (categories/launchers) from showing

P.S. I also use 'app finder' as main menu replacement. Also also have Thunar (file manager launcher) and a favorites (launcher with multiple entries) in panel :wink:

J.Jay

Return to “Xfce”